Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning off salt spray

hemi1300

Question

Love this time of year trying to keep a vehicle clean once they start salting the roads. Would Rinseless or waterless wash be safe to remove light salt spray/haze from the paint, or should u always power wash it first to minimize the chance of swirls?

5 answers to this question

I do rinseless/waterless all the time...including winter in Upstate New York. In the winter, I'm more liberial with the amount of product and towels I use.

The key to avoiding damage is what you mention...LIGHT spray/haze or power wash first. Actually, pressure wash pre-rinse is the ideal, but a good pre-rinse with a garden hose pretty works well. 

Should have worded my post better. What I really meant, would it be safe to do a Rinseless wipe down when the vehicle has some light salt/road spray on the paint, without spraying it off first with a pressure washer or hose. Just detail sprayed the truck last night and they salted the roads bc it snowed a bit. After a drive today there was a slight amount of salt film on the paint, but didn't have time to hose it off first. Just soaked it down good with waterless wash followed by a Rinseless wash. Next time I will remember to stop by the pay and spray on my way home

Yes...with LIGHT salt/road spray I have done waterless/rinseless without a pre-rinse and it appears to be safe. I do use maybe 2X the product and towels. (BUT a thorough pre-rinse is clearly the best approach.) 

To be more detailed, I do sort of a hybrid waterless/rinseless using Rinseless product diluted 132:1 and 16:1. I dampened the entire towel in 128:1 like a rinseless wash, and pre-spray the panel well with 16:1 like a waterless wash. Wring out the towel as needed. Dry  the panel with a 2nd dry towel, ideally with a little Detail Spray. 

And...personally I love Rinsless/Waterless, BUT it has its limitations. One is washes without a hose does not do a great job of getting contaminants out of the nooks and crannies of the vehicle. Another reason to pre-rinse when possible.  :)

Edited by LT1xL82