Customer Service 866.965.0400

2017 F-150 Raptor - new vehicle prep and polish

Wolfeman

Question

I mostly browse and search this forum for information and don't really participate much.  I am by no means a professional detailer but I like to think that I can do a decent job of washing a car without introducing too much damage and like to keep my ride clean.  I consider myself a car guy more than a detailer guy but like to do the work myself because I have serious trust issues leaving my vehicle in someone else's hands.

That leads me to the topic at hand.  I ordered a 2017 F-150 Raptor back in July of 2016.  The truck was produced on 10/18/16 and sat in Michigan and was moved around to various holding lots until an "okay to buy" was granted by Ford.  Once this happened it still took a while to work through a lot of the trucks that had been produced but were still waiting for various quality holds to ship.  I finally received my truck at the dealer on 1/26/17.  The truck is beautiful but there are a number of scratches in the paint, one area that needs touch-up, and water spots all over.  

I have cleaned the vehicle as much as I know how and realized recently that I am about to jump into the world of machine polishers.  Thank goodness, recently Adam's came out with two new polishers... the Swirl Killer and the SK Mini.  I placed an order for the SK last week and am expecting it to come tomorrow.  While looking at my truck more, I realized that I might need the Mini as well to get into some of the smaller spots on the truck.  So, I ordered that last night.  

I hope to document some of my work here and also be able to bounce questions or ideas off of other members.  I know there are people here that are way smarter than me when it comes to auto detailing.  I may also jump into some of the ceramic coatings later if I feel that I can get this whole polishing thing down.  

I was able to get this truck for only $700 over invoice while a lot of people are paying huge premiums for them or MSRP at best.

I want to be friends with your dealer, too!  That's a sweet deal!

I thought the microfiber pads are more aggressive than the blue foam pads?

That is correct, the New Blue Microfiber Cutting Pads are more aggressive than the New Blue Foam Cutting Pads.

Got home tonight and found my SK Mini had been delivered.  One spot on the truck that I was waiting to tackle with the Mini are the B-pillars on the truck.  I used the orange pad and the orange polish and went after them.  They look fantastic.  I am going to post a before and after picture as well but this definitely makes it worth having the mini for tighter spots like this.

I've been hesitant on the jump to a SK mini just cause it seems like I can get the job done with a little bit of tilt on the SK 15 this has me closer to the jump especially to get the job done right....But wow that's crazy nice

Also my B-pillars aren't shiny like that (design not because of damage) but I feel like it might be worth just wrapping those in clear bra

Edited by mathews31

I thought the microfiber pads are more aggressive than the blue foam pads?

Microfiber pads are more aggressive. But there's different microfiber pads. I have microfiber pads for heavy correcting compound, correcting polish and finishing polish. As well as foam pads for each depending on my goal.