Customer Service 866.965.0400

Post Coating Care/Maintenance

galaxy

Question

So after getting the coating done, what do you guys for normal care and maintenance?  Do you guys mainly stick to the boost, or is the boost a once in a while treatment?  Do you still use QD for certain jobs?  How about your spray wax or G&G??  

Seems like using G&G would be no different that using an actual wax on top of a coating; it's still a product that's going to add its own qualities and mask/cover the qualities of the coating.

16 answers to this question

Was wondering before i do a vehicle (already did the wheels) but when choosing a soap from here on out after the coating, is the consensus regular car shampoo I would guess,  and not the wash and wax?  

So basically after a wash, really the only item I would want to put on it is boost?  Would detail spray be ok for drying when I'm not going to boost.  I look forward to putting it on, although my wifes vehicle and mine are big, so Its gonna take some time to get them ready.  

I've just been using the waterless wash to wipe the car down.  Even after driving in light rain the waterless wash was enough to clean it because of the coating.  It's only been 1 month.  I'll use the boost when I see a change in the finish.

Just use a ph neutral soap and you'll be fine. No need for strip wash or anything like that.

Regular car wash for washing. Occasional ceramic boost (every couple months) and the occasional iron decontamination with diluted wheel cleaner and you'll be good to go. Easy maintenance.

I would NOT use detail spray. It has some gloss additives that will change the hydrophobic properties of the coating and not necessarily for the better. There really isn't a need. Simply wash. And dry. Then enjoy.

I agree Shane, but it's so dang hard to leave QD alone when you have those small touch up jobs; like people that don't know how to ride or act in a car and get the occasional fingerprints here and there, lol. Random smudges from driving and such are perfect jobs for QD.

Or here's a thought....do you guys replace QD with the Boost?

I know these seem silly, but it's really taking a lot to talk me into a coating. It completely changes your routine and detailing methods/habit patterns...or so I'm learning.

That's exactly what I do for a touch up. I'll hit it with a quick boost. It works well for my garage queen that's coated and any client vehicles I've coated. I give them boost instead of detail spray.

Just changing thought processes. It is a different product.

... and the occasional iron decontamination with diluted wheel cleaner and you'll be good to go. Easy maintenance.

Another one that I have trouble accepting and dealing with, ahahahahahahaha. It scrambles my mind to think about doing a second job like wheel cleaner or iron-x or something and that not being a preparation step for polish>wax!! Next you're gonna tell me I can use clay on top of a coating and then just go about my business!!! LOL.

They generally say NOT to clay coatings.  If you do, you need to work it gently with a soft clay.  If you keep up on the boost and the iron decontamination, the maintenance should be simple.  After all, isn't that one of the biggest benefits to the coatings?

The wheel cleaner, used as an iron decon, won't strip the sealing on the car?

That's my thought!! Blows my mind about using wheel cleaner (iron-x type decontamination) and not affect the coating. It'll strip anything else!

Right? I would think that would be a part of the exact process to take the coating off?

I've used it on mine without issue.  And if you read about other manufacturers coatings and maintenance, they pretty much all recommend an iron decontamination as part of routine maintenance.  Wheel cleaner diluted 1:1 is very similar to another very popular iron decon product made by another manufacturer.