Customer Service 866.965.0400

New tires soon, remove stick on wheel weights before going or after?

BrianT

Question

The wife's Durango is going to need tires in the summer. My question is since this is my first vehicle with the stick on weights do you guys take the weights off and remove all glue before going to get new tires mounted and balanced or after you get it back? The snow tires I brought off some one have the glue residue left on the barrel. My concern would be that the new weight(s) would end up where the old ones were.

5 answers to this question

I'd love it if a customer would remove the residue for me. I try to remove as much as I can when balancing wheels, but I don't get paid to sit there all day and remove stick-on weight adhesive. I know of some shops/people who don't remove any and will put new weights right on top of the old adhesive. Stuff like that is just asking for a come back, when the new weight falls off and customer comes back with a shake.

I would remove them prior. My last visit to a dealer I trusted wound up with them replacing my wheels. Apparently the old weights used a high-quality glue so they went after it with a flathead screwdriver and gouged the heck out of the wheel barrel.