Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratches on headlight lens(es)

GiggleMon

Question

I have these small scratches on the headlight lens(es) of my BMW, needless to say they are driving me crazy - the headlight restoration kit did nothing for them (It did clear up the oxidation but I didn't think it would clear these and I was right). They're not deep scratches at all, the surface feels not smooth (only way I can think of right now) while compared to the rest of the lens. 

Is there anything that I can do to get these out? I've attached a couple of pictures and I can get more if I need to.

headlight 1.jpg

headlight 2.jpg

Edited by GiggleMon

13 answers to this question

Wetsand then polish clear again. Start with 800 grit, spray liberally with soapy water. If thats not cutting well enough, go down to 600 or even 400. Once the scratches are out, step up sizes until you get to 1500 or maybe 2000. Then polish out with the headlight restoration kit

9 minutes ago, GiggleMon said:

I’ve never wet sanded anything in my life - any suggestions?

I don’t want to mess it up anymore than what it already is.

Tape off the area around the light and use left to right motions. Make sure to clean off the lens Occasionally , and rinse off the sand paper from time to time. You’ll notice a white chalky like substance. That chalky stuff is the UV/clear coat of the head light. That’s worked best for me. I usually start out using 2000 grit and that takes care of all the oxidation and scratches. Then I finish it with 3000 grit. After that I buff it out and use a coating to protect them.

The only thing that you could really damage is if you sand the paint. Go slow, do it by hand. Back and forth, not circles. The trick to going up to the next grit level is that you only go up when you are done removing the scratches left from the previous grit. 2000 grit will never remove 600 grit scratches, but 800 grit will. 

If you are using several different grits of sandpaper then go in a different direction for the next grit - e.g. 800 grit go side to side, 1500 grit go up and down.  This way you can tell by the marks which grit you removing - in the previous example you use the up and down motion until all the side to side sanding marks from the lower grit are gone.

And tape a larger area than you think you will be working.  Much easier to tape than to have to wet sand any paint you touch by accident...ask me how I know! 

Its tough to say what grit to start with, but if there are scratches you can feel, start with I would start with something in the neighborhood of 800. If it takes them off easy then progress finer and finer. If you start too fine, you'll never properly remove the scratches and the finish wont be as clear because the surface wont be perfectly flat. Same goes for wet sanding paint issues. If you start too fine, you'll never get an ideal final product 

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

If you are using several different grits of sandpaper then go in a different direction for the next grit - e.g. 800 grit go side to side, 1500 grit go up and down.  This way you can tell by the marks which grit you removing - in the previous example you use the up and down motion until all the side to side sanding marks from the lower grit are gone.

And tape a larger area than you think you will be working.  Much easier to tape than to have to wet sand any paint you touch by accident...ask me how I know! 

That never worked out well for me. Seemed it made it harder to buff out all the marks. Everyone has there own way I recon lol