Customer Service 866.965.0400

ph number

enoch7fa

Question

6 answers to this question

13 hours ago, enoch7fa said:

what is ph of strip wash?

I just measured the pH at 13.4 with a little digital meter.  This is the pH of the product out of the bottle, and the pH of the washing solution will change depending on how much product is mixed into the wash water, and the pH of your tap water.

Products that will strip sealants or waxes (APC), or are used to clean towels are bases, which have high pH.  (MFR&B pH=13.4).

3 hours ago, pirahnah3 said:

I would guess that it would be down around 4, as Detail spray is in the mid 5's and it would need to cut under that. 

I recall you have access to real lab equipment, but I just measured the pH of Detail Spray at 6.2.  And I had just calibrated the HM Digital meter to 7.0 at 25 degrees C.  Note sure how/why the pH would be as low as mid-5.

I found your old post when you measured the LIC, but could not find any post for the Detail Spray test.

36 minutes ago, TheWolf said:

Products that will strip sealants or waxes (APC), or are used to clean towels are bases, which have high pH.  (MFR&B pH=13.4).

Dan,

Now you have me confused. I always thought strip washes to be acidic. Even right here in an older Adam’s article, it references APC making the wash acidic. 

1E86CF83-20A5-4804-8302-9A1CBF661C10.thumb.jpeg.423fde579c842b9b4bef81041acfad7e.jpeg

I realize this is an older article, but it seems acids would pull more off than a base would. Just thinking to basic chemistry (which was a LONG time ago so it’s lilely I’ve forgotten and am wrong). 

21 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Dan,

Now you have me confused. I always thought strip washes to be acidic. Even right here in an older Adam’s article, it references APC making the wash acidic.

I realize this is an older article, but it seems acids would pull more off than a base would. Just thinking to basic chemistry (which was a LONG time ago so it’s lilely I’ve forgotten and am wrong). 

Acidic products can also strip sealants and waxes, depending on the product and type of protection.

I am not sure if the older version of APC referenced in that article was actually acidic, but my guess it was a typo (acidic vs basic).

Also, pH is not the only factor in determining whether a product will degrade or strip a wax or sealant.  Some products that are solvents will strip without having a pH that is too acidic or too basic.  For example, we know Isopropyl Alcohol is effective at striping protection, but the pH can be anywhere from 6-8 depending on the strength and other factors.  I just measured the 70% IPA on my shelf and the pH was 7.4.