Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stubborn bug guts on front bumper

chris308

Question

I have a problem with the bug guts not wanting to come off with normal washing, and polishing. I have used everything in my arsenal and still have trouble getting the car free of bug remains. What do you suggest i do short of sand blasting!! :D

Btw, the car is black which makes it even worse...:rolleyes:

Clay bar! Safest and easiest way to remove bug guts.

Spray down the bug graveyard with Detail Spray and take a 1/4 piece of clay bar, mash it flat in your hand, then rub the bug with the clay bar back and forth. That'll remove all the solid deposits. If needed, follow with a polish to remove a stain left behind.

Haven't tried the A/P cleaner yet, i'll give it a whirl see what happens.

I have used a claybar, not the Adams brand and didn't get the results i wanted. I will have to get an Adams bar and try it out. Maybe i just wasn't using the right technique or something...

Thanks guys!

Edited by Adam

We must have weak bugs up here, I just spray with detail spray and wait 5 minutes then spray again and wipe off. But I think keeping a good coat of wax on there and not letting the bugs sit on there too long is the key.

Haven't tried the A/P cleaner yet, i'll give it a whirl see what happens.

I have used a claybar, not the Adams brand and didn't get the results i wanted. I will have to get an Adams bar and try it out. Maybe i just wasn't using the right technique or something...

Thanks guys!

Hey Chris, who's bar were you using? If you don't recall, what color is the bar? It's strange that a clay bar didn't do the trick, unless it's super soft, or too hard.

We must have weak bugs up here, I just spray with detail spray and wait 5 minutes then spray again and wipe off. But I think keeping a good coat of wax on there and not letting the bugs sit on there too long is the key.

You've got very respectful bugs!

If you keep a good coat of polish on your car, the bugs won't be an issue if you remove them right away. The key is to keep polish on the car and remove them right away.

Did I repeat myself?

Question guys.... I use my detail spray (the bubblegum smelling stuff) and a used Dryer sheet. The little sheets you put in the dryer to make your cloths smell good or something LOL...Takes them right off with NO problem. Dont seem to hurn my chrome bumper or painted bumper end caps on the Titan...SO here is my ?: is it doing harm that I cant see?

Question guys.... I use my detail spray (the bubblegum smelling stuff) and a used Dryer sheet. The little sheets you put in the dryer to make your cloths smell good or something LOL...Takes them right off with NO problem. Dont seem to hurn my chrome bumper or painted bumper end caps on the Titan...SO here is my ?: is it doing harm that I cant see?

Not a terrible plan, and I've heard it used before. Thanks for the tip!

Not a terrible plan, and I've heard it used before. Thanks for the tip!

Works like a charm, I was worried at first about the chrome but it has NEVER left any mark/swirl/or anything on it. I just dont know if its removing the wax from the bumper end caps which are painted plastic.

I would think that this would cause swirl marks as abrasive as those sheets are. One thing you must do is look at your paint in enough light. This is the problem that folks have when they think that their car is swirl free, and the first bright and sunny day that comes along reveals the truth to them. Sorta "sheds some light" on the problem if you will. Do this: inspect that area you use the sheets on in a car wash bay at night. Pick a good one with some really bright lights. Look at it at various angles. Tell us what you find out.

He's a picture of what a tire shop guy did after he got out of my car and commenced to wiping his greasy finger prints off my door handles with one of those red shop rags:

swirlcity2.jpg

After 1 pass with the Adam's swirl and scratch remover:

swirlcity3.jpg

As you can see, the swirls came out with no issue but at the same time, it gives you an idea of how closely I inspect my paint and I would think that those shop rags are not as abrasive as a dryer sheet...I think.

As you can see, I get my nose all down in it!

Edited by Junkman2008

LOL thanks man! Ill have a look at it hopefully this weekend (I get home after dark). You used the swirl remover to get rid of those? You have to have the buffer thing for that dont you?

You don't have to use a buffer but it is a lot quicker and easier on the ol' ball and socket joint. At my age, stuff is starting to get hurt a lot easier. I stressed my thumb by opening 3 packs of Coffee-Mate at the same time. Can you believe that? Now I'm scared to have sex! :willy:

You don't have to use a buffer but it is a lot quicker and easier on the ol' ball and socket joint. At my age, stuff is starting to get hurt a lot easier. I stressed my thumb by opening 3 packs of Coffee-Mate at the same time. Can you believe that? Now I'm scared to have sex! :willy:

LOL now thats funny right there!!!!

Junk Man, don't abandon sex my friend! While this might not be the time, nor place to offer advice, friends of mine in the medical practice say that sex is good for the heart, for your appetite, and is actually proven to prevent prostate cancer! (I'm not making this stuff up, and tell my wife all the time!) :lol:

Junk Man, don't abandon sex my friend! While this might not be the time, nor place to offer advice, friends of mine in the medical practice say that sex is good for the heart, for your appetite, and is actually proven to prevent prostate cancer! (I'm not making this stuff up, and tell my wife all the time!) :lol:

:lol:

Okay, I'll give it another go. But if I break or strain something else, get the guest room ready because you're adopting me! :lol:

:lol:

Okay, I'll give it another go. But if I break or strain something else, get the guest room ready because you're adopting me! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You've got very respectful bugs!

If you keep a good coat of polish on your car, the bugs won't be an issue if you remove them right away. The key is to keep polish on the car and remove them right away.

Did I repeat myself?

Great minds think alike :2thumbs:

Maybe we should ask some :lolsmack:

There is a product that is made specifically for removing bugs and when used with the Detail Spray it works Fantastic.

It is called a bug sponge and there are many version of it. When i first got mine I was like no way in hell i am using this on my paint. So i tried it on the wifes commuter car first and they work great. Remove the bugs and no scratches.

Edited by 97F1504RAD

A friend of mine told me his trick that he used to do, although I cannot commit to how good it may or may not be to your paint. He would put three coats of wax on the front end of his '49 truck, then after buffing it out, would spray a light coat of Pam cooking spray on it. He swears by it, but I never tried it. Any thoughts on that are of course welcome to hear.