Customer Service 866.965.0400

IR or diluted DWC

Velvethelmet

Question

A family member has a new Tahoe coming next week and I plan a complete decon after the long train ride from Arlington Texas. I have oodles of wheel cleaner and was planning to use it in a 1:1 dilution. Browsing Adam's site I notice the IR product just for the same purpose. 

Has anyone used both the IR and a wheel cleaner dilution side by side for comparison? I'm wondering if I really need to order the IR. I will if it's substantially better but I'm guessing they are very similar in use and outcomes. Am I wrong?

9 answers to this question

The Iron Remover was developed to be used as a specific paint decon product.  The Wheel Cleaner can be diluted and will work, however, it is not as fluid as the Iron Remover.  Wheel Cleaner is a gel formulation while the Iron Remover is not.  Prior to release of the Iron Remover, diluted Wheel Cleaner was the recommended step for paint decon, so you should be fine as long as you don't let it dwell for too long and are careful to use it on cool surfaces out of direct sun. 

So the IR is likely easier to apply but both work equally as well with proper technique is what I'm hearing.  Thanks. 

My Adams wheel cleaner is the new blue stuff I did not know it was safe to use straight. Thanks for that info!! I was planning to use up some remaining "other" wheel cleaner that does require a 1:1 dilution. I just assumed all wheel cleaners needed some dilution. 

Maybe I'll try side by side of Adams straight and gg diluted. 

20 minutes ago, Velvethelmet said:

10 minute dwell time!?! wow

I usually get nervous and start rinsing too soon lol

Take in consideration the temperature outside. I sprayed some on my brothers white BMW I did not wait 10 mins since it was a hot day. If you have a pop tent try using it to avoid direct sun on car. Good luck will like to see some pictures..? once you have tried it. 

To be honest, Adam's iron remover is cheap enough to just buy that and use for paint decontamination. It is MILES cheaper than anything else out there. Just look at Carpro IronX, Griots iron remover, Sonax fallout remover etc. They're $100+ for one gallon. 

I got my IK sprayer AND a gallon of IR on sale for around $50 shipped. That's a bargain in my eyes. 

Also, the IK sprayer makes it so much easier to decon a car. I did my car in about 2 minutes opposed to 5-10 painful minutes of pumping that spray nozzle. 

6 minutes ago, Speedracerx said:

Take in consideration the temperature outside. I sprayed some on my brothers white BMW I did not wait 10 mins since it was a hot day. If you have a pop tent try using it to avoid direct sun on car. Good luck will like to see some pictures..? once you have tried it. 

Thanks I will post a couple when I get it done. This satin steel metallic we have coming is stunning in person but it is not very photogenic. 

5 minutes ago, cwp2016nd said:

To be honest, Adam's iron remover is cheap enough to just buy that and use for paint decontamination. It is MILES cheaper than anything else out there. Just look at Carpro IronX, Griots iron remover, Sonax fallout remover etc. They're $100+ for one gallon. 

I got my IK sprayer AND a gallon of IR on sale for around $50 shipped. That's a bargain in my eyes. 

Also, the IK sprayer makes it so much easier to decon a car. I did my car in about 2 minutes opposed to 5-10 painful minutes of pumping that spray nozzle. 

I plan to buy some IR in the future. Just want to use up some older wheel cleaner in the short term. I've used iron x in the past, talk about stench but it works. 

I'm lusting after a few of those 1k sprayers! If I don't get one in the next round of mystery buckets I'll break down and order a few. 

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Velvethelmet said:

I plan to buy some IR in the future. Just want to use up some older wheel cleaner in the short term. I've used iron x in the past, talk about stench but it works. 

I'm lusting after a few of those 1k sprayers! If I don't get one in the next round of mystery buckets I'll break down and order a few. 

Thanks

Yes, Iron X stinks like a dead skunk just like many other the other iron removing chemicals out there. It is the active ingredient that causes it to smell as such, including Adam's wheel cleaner. 

BUT, the IR smells quite nice comparitively so its a win-win for IR! :2thumbs: