Customer Service 866.965.0400

grit gaurd...

Cyclone

Question

No. I got a 'standard' 5 gal bucket from Lowes and the grit guard does not fit properly. The base of the bucket is too narrow and the guard sits a little below the half-way point. not very useful, IMO. I did, however, find a 3.5 gal bucket at Lowes with a wide base and the guard fits nicely there....still wish I had a wider 5 gal though.

It does not fit my 5 gallon bucket, like Esteban said it sits just under half way but IMO I think it is fine. I just rub my wash pad over it and the grit will still settle to the bottom.

That's true, and there's value in that. My only concern is that I dont have enough water/soap above the grit guard so I feel like I am not getting enough lubricated goodness on my mitt before I drag it across my truck.

Thanks guys...

I want to order the foam gun and some washing supplies and was looking at the grit guard, maybe its me, but why buy a bucket when I have a ton already. But the grit guard would be nice to have.

Esteban & Kevn, How much difference would you say is between the bottom of the bucket and where the grit gaurd sits? 1" or so

I am thinking that I could take a dremel and shave it down a little bit to fit properly.

Nope, that's ok

From the looks of the pictures, it should be rather easy to zip it down with the dremel and get it to fit perfectly. Cool! I should be placing a order in the next 2 weeks to pick that, and a few other goodies up

That's true, and there's value in that. My only concern is that I dont have enough water/soap above the grit guard so I feel like I am not getting enough lubricated goodness on my mitt before I drag it across my truck.

Very true but I use a two bucket method. The first dip in the 5 gallon bucket and rub the grit guard and I have another bucket from a different supplier with a grit guard in it with my car wash water. :thumbsup:

sorry for the confusion. I was under the impression it would fit since their own website says it should fit most 3.5 and 5 gal. buckets. hence "should fit most".

however, I just checked my own Adam's Grit Guard and my own 5 gal. Home Depot orange bucket and it fits great... identical to the Adam's bucket.

good luck, man. I like the idea of making it work.

Thanks guys...

I want to order the foam gun and some washing supplies and was looking at the grit guard, maybe its me, but why buy a bucket when I have a ton already. But the grit guard would be nice to have.

Esteban & Kevn, How much difference would you say is between the bottom of the bucket and where the grit gaurd sits? 1" or so

I am thinking that I could take a dremel and shave it down a little bit to fit properly.

You want that Grit Guard at the bottom of the bucket mainly for the following reason. With the grit and dirt sitting in the bottom of the bucket, the design of the Grit Guard keeps you from disturbing the water below the Grit Guard in a manner that will cause the dirt to rise above it. If you have a lot of space below the Grit Guard, the water below it will still move in a manner which can cause the grit to float and end up back in your mitt and across your paint.

Get the Grit Guard and go bucket shopping if you want to save some money. I am all anal about my buckets matching so I got two. :D