Customer Service 866.965.0400

Looking for HVAC advice

70Judge

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on how to setup the hvac in my building and future build.  So I have a 1900 sq ft building with 12 ft ceilings.  My plan is to build a 14x26x12 garage inside of the original building to store a car or two with a lift.  My plan is having the new garage climate controlled (heat/ac), but I don’t plan on running ac to the original building since we are in and out of there a lot during the spring/summer.  Winter time there will not be much for door opening so I don’t mind having the heat the same as the other building.  Also, both buildings will be spray foam for insulation.

Any thoughts would be great!

• 9 months later...

Hi Chad,

I have my current attached garage partially climate controlled and the new one that I'm building will be also.  I've done my research for South Carolina and will be putting in two units in my new garage. 

The units are direct wall and have heat, direct fresh air,  and A/C.  This gives me the advantage of using whichever one is needed at that given time of the year or day.   One the features that I wanted was Minimum temperature and Maximum temperature controls.  With these controls, the units will kick in if the building gets below or above a specific temp.   There are a couple of safety items (wallet safety in my opinion), if the garage door is open, only the fan can run.   We get very little cold weather in South Carolina, but a couple of years ago we had a week of new record cold nights - we had a think layer of ice on the pool.  Setting the thermostat to a low of ~40 will ensure nothing freezes in the garage.  For the summer, I'm probably looking at the high of ~90.   I'm not worried about the Adam's chemicals, they'll still be stored in true climate controlled area where they are today.

The other wallet safety control is that the heat and A/C are set on a timer, meaning that I can warm it up or cool it down with a mechanical timer.  The timer that I have selected in a 4 hour timer, meaning it can't be set for more than 4 hours and then it will have to be set again if we are still in the garage.  This will ensure that the heat or A/C can't be left running for a weekend or week.  

You will most certainly want to talk to a HVAC person in your area to ensure that you are getting the right unit for your weather conditions and according to your area, having an Active or Passive solar system may be ideal to keep the runtime costs i check.