Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ready for some more detailing tools?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing you need to remember is the pads are just like polishes. Each one delivers a different level of cutting ability. That way you can mix and match for the level of cutting power you need.

Orange Pad-Heavy Cut

White Pad-Light Cut

Black Pad-No Cut

SHR-Heavy Cut

FMP-Medium Cut

RP-Light Cut

BW-No Cut (Wax)

Hope that helps :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The thing you need to remember is the pads are just like polishes. Each one delivers a different level of cutting ability. That way you can mix and match for the level of cutting power you need.

Orange Pad-Heavy Cut

White Pad-Light Cut

Black Pad-No Cut

SHR-Heavy Cut

FMP-Medium Cut

RP-Light Cut

BW-No Cut (Wax)

Hope that helps :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Bill! I knew that:cheers: Jason said that Brian was the closest to the right answer, so I am just throwing things out hoping I will be right.:lolsmack:

New Pads that are not wax/color specific? Any liquid any pad??

Pads are color coded as an industry standard - Orange, white, & black being the "Big 3" so to speak. You can already mix/match different products with different pads. For instance, on soft Japanese paint, I may use a white pad with a medium cut polish while on a harder surface, like Mercedes or Audi, I may use the same polish product but with an orange or yellow pad primed with a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol/water mix for some extra cutting power.

Your imagination is the limit when it comes to mixing/matching pads & polishes :2thumbs:

Pads are color coded as an industry standard - Orange, white, & black being the "Big 3" so to speak. You can already mix/match different products with different pads. For instance, on soft Japanese paint, I may use a white pad with a medium cut polish while on a harder surface, like Mercedes or Audi, I may use the same polish product but with an orange or yellow pad primed with a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol/water mix for some extra cutting power.

Your imagination is the limit when it comes to mixing/matching pads & polishes :2thumbs:

Primed? A bit more of an explanation please? :)

Primed? A bit more of an explanation please? :)

It's similar to what you see Adam doing in some of his machine polishing videos: he sprays a bit of detail spray on the pad before starting to polish.

Polishes cut a little better and go on more evenly when using a primed pad. However, don't soak it too much or the polish will get clumpy on you.

The reason I use water/alcohol mix rather than Detail Spray is that quick detailers contain polymers and/or waxes that ultimately reduce your cutting power because they provide too much lubrication between the pad and your paint surface.

Baron , on the water alcohol mix , what ratio do you use , 50/50 ? Do you use distilled water and what type alcohol ? thanks

50/50 Distilled water & 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, both of which you can pick up at a local drug store. It's also used after you're finished polishing a panel - using the 50/50 mix to wipe down the area removes all of the polish residue and any fillers that may be present so you can get the clearest view of your results. Keep it away from any unpainted and chromed surfaces. I'd reccomend wearing gloves too, because it will dry your hands to the point of cracking! :willy:

If you don't feel like mixing the 50/50, DuPont Prepsol and Menzerna Top Inspection serve the same purpose and are ready to use right out of the bottle.