Customer Service 866.965.0400

Only see light swirls under florescents

bigdougt

Question

Badass'66 and I did my black vet about 6 weeks ago with a PC. Looks great under normal light but under the florescent lights in my garage I still can see come light swirls. Should I give it another shot or am I being anal. I'm anal when it comes to my vet, Its a weekend driver and I check the local radar before I drive it to avoid rain. :help:

15 answers to this question

I think the level of anal-ness is totally up to you...I know that I have been pursuing PERFECT shine for some time now, and its really hard to get there, IMO. It seems there will always be a little something left to be desired. I was able to knock-out the swirls and other big imperfections, but there's still some webbing around the windows and doorhandles that I just cant seem to nail.

I believe that if you have the time, and car as nice as a Vette, you can certainly leverage the knowledge on this forum to have 100% perfect shine.

I don't go too overboard as I have a life outside detailing but many don't (LOL) so they are able to spend 2 days getting their cars spotless. Since I drive mine every day I just make them look awesome without going over board. I can see very light "scratches" in my black car as well but it looks better than 99% of the other ones I see.

Badass'66 and I did my black vet about 6 weeks ago with a PC. Looks great under normal light but under the florescent lights in my garage I still can see come light swirls. Should I give it another shot or am I being anal. I'm anal when it comes to my vet, Its a weekend driver and I check the local radar before I drive it to avoid rain. :help:

There is nothing wrong with perfection Doug! If it's not up to your standards give it another go, just make sure those imperfections aren't bad enough that they won't come out. If you can't feel them with your nail then time and patience will get you there. :pc:

I'm waiting on the new harder pad from Adam to help ease the removal of some of the deeper ones. Patiently waiting...

You know, I was waiting for a more aggressive pad also, but per the junkman's posts, I now believe that is not necessary. He has taken care of serious problems with the current orange pad so that makes me believe technique is more important than the pad.

Not a criticism...just my $.02

We know there is a demand out there for more aggressive x y and z, but remember that patience, pressure, and practice can fix anything. We tested a more aggressive polish than our Swirl and Haze Remover recently and it marred the heck out of the hood of our Adam's Ford truck. It took Swirl and Haze Remover to correct it! A more aggressive pad is just more of the same - it's why we pulled our Green pad awhile back.

You know, I was waiting for a more aggressive pad also, but per the junkman's posts, I now believe that is not necessary. He has taken care of serious problems with the current orange pad so that makes me believe technique is more important than the pad.

Not a criticism...just my $.02

I agree, but I would amend that to say technique is just as important as the pad. After all if you don't have good products then "good technique" will not do you much good :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hell... if you really wanna see how bad your paint is try it under some hallogen spots. :help:

The search for perfection is a never ending game if you intend to actually DRIVE your car. I spend more time on my TBSS than most people would ever be willing to and I have the years of experience and the tools to get it to NEAR perfection should the mood strike. But after years of chasing my tail on black cars I've decided to reach a compromise between practicality and usability. I still keep it spotless, rub out the major issues but I don't spend 4-5 day sessions holed up in the garage anymore chasing down every last swirl.

You can literally drive yourself batty trying to attain "perfection" IMO find a level of finish that looks good in natural light and love it. You spend all your free time trying to remove every little defect and the joy of owning a nice car is wasted as you are always in the garage w/ your nose a 1/2" from the finish looking for flaws.

Agree with Dylan. I have just been very impressed with the PC and machine polish in getting 90% of spider webs out with one hard pass, thats good enough for my black daily. You have to get a point source of light to even see what's left.

Edited by _RS_

You spend all your free time trying to remove every little defect and the joy of owning a nice car is wasted as you are always in the garage w/ your nose a 1/2" from the finish looking for flaws.

That's why I love this forum: it proves that Im not the only one who does this!

Don't be afraid to apply more pressure with the :pc:

If you want aggressive, then try a little 3000 or 2000 grit sandpaper. I did this on a friends car to remove some deep scratches and S&H remover brought back the shine with no problem.

Thanks to Junkman for the "How To"!

If you want aggressive, then try a little 3000 or 2000 grit sandpaper. I did this on a friends car to remove some deep scratches and S&H remover brought back the shine with no problem.

Thanks to Junkman for the "How To"!

I did the same to my buddies Maxima. Worked great but I stepped from heavy/medium to medium/light polishing compound to the SHR and then to the MP. Worked the bees knees! :2thumbs: