Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing for Grandma

mc2hill

My son and I spent the day yesterday detailing his Grandmothers Grand Marquis. Man, that car has a lot of paint! It was a test run for him and me - him to get a chance to see if he would like to do this as a summer job (and as a 'Thank You' to his Grandmother for selling him her old Crown Vic for $1), and me to see what 'mobile' detailing would be like. I have never detailed another person's car without getting anything out of it (GF's and my wife) so this was a 'Thank You' from me as well.

Total time spent was about 7.5 hours, but not all working, and my son was learning the 'correct' wash and PC procedures. We started with the wheel wells, tires, & wheels using APC and a variety of brushes, then on to the wash with a heavy concentration to help strip the wax, and drying with Detail Spray and waffle towels. That went fairly quickly, but we kept having to stop and clear the car - we were working under an 150 year old oak tree that dropped things on the car all day!

We taped off the car and did a little 'spot' correction with the SHR with the white pad, removing a few scratches, and then moved on the FMP (when the pictures where taken). We each took turns with the PC and detailing the leather interior (with the 'Daily Special' on Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner from a few weeks ago). After applying Undercarriage spray to the wheel wells and SMW with the black pads, we wiped the door jambs with Detail Spray and hit the tires and black trim with VRT (love the new blue sponges for the tires!), then removed the wax with the Blue towels.

Finally done!

My mother-in-law was amazed at the way the car looked. She didn't' really know what 'detailing' meant, I guess she thought we would just wash the car and maybe put some Turtle Wax on it. She just kept walking around the car commenting on how shiny it was, as we cleaned the tools and put the things back in the crates to take home (and wiped off more stuff from the tree).

Not sure if my son made up his mind about doing this for money (but the $20 tip he got did bring a smile), and I know that for me it was gratifying seeing her reaction and to see how good the car could look after some work.

BTW, she called today to say the she talked to everyone at church today and hopes that my son does decide to do this because several of her friends want their cars done!

GrandMarquis001.jpg

GrandMarquis002.jpg

Edited by mc2hill

Thanks guys, it was good working with my son.

The tape is the thin tape (1/2" I guess) in C6Bill's link, picked it up at Autozone, but have seen in most auto parts stores in the paint section. This was the first time I have used it, but it saved the black trim and kept polish from dumping down the seams. We took it off the seams for waxing, but left it on the trim, and it did save time. I tried the blue tape once before on the windshield trim on my truck, but the green sticks to the trim better, and comes up just as easy. Thanks to Richie C. for the tips on using tape. Also, the green tape looks neat on the car and it makes it look like really you know what you are doing! ;)