Customer Service 866.965.0400

High humidity ceramic coat application...

GaryC

Question

HI all,

Got my Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating™ Advanced kit/with light today and started into it . A couple issues I ran into, related to my inexperience I'm sure. After applying the coating to my paint I saw no rainbow indicating product was ready to wipe off. Temps at 72 with 90%+ humidity. I waited nearly 17 minutes and went ahead and wiped off the headlights. On the paint I waited awhile then just went ahead and wiped it after 3 minutes. Possibly not enough product applied? Light seemed to show decent coverage. I just started with the valence and will do rest of car once I'm sure I'm doing it correctly.  Any idea on what's causing this to happen?

Thanks for listening!

Gary

Edited by GaryC

4 answers to this question

Hi, Gary, and welcome! Be sure to post an intro so we can get to know you. And keep the questions coming!

Don't worry, we are here to help! High heat and high humidity will lead to faster flash times, and in those conditions as you explained it could happen extremely quickly, as in under a minute. Frankly, 17 minutes is excessive for any version of our coatings, and on the headlights you won't see the product flash nearly as well as on paint when it's time. Graphene Ceramic Coating Advanced will go from a rainbow to chalky appearance, and like the others, will tack up when it's ready to be removed. When wiping the residue, it's best to go by feel, not look. If you can take a plush towel like a Borderless Grey and very lightly drag it across the surface and the surface is slick, it's too soon. But once it becomes tacky and grabby, remove it. Try and remove it in the same order as it was applied to give it the best chance at bonding the longest. In the temp and humidity like what you had, I would check it early and often. 

You will probably notice high spots when you pull the car outside, overcast skies are best to check. When you do, here's a video to help fix them.

Thank you for the quick response! I pulled the car out this morning to check for streaks, high spots, etc. Couldn't find anything wrong. The car is a light color so I'll check closer to sunset again. I will be taking the piece at a time approach to completing the whole car. Just the front facia/headlights  was about 4 hours with defect clean up and paint correction. I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again, Gary

Here's my Chevy I'm working on....(2700 miles and still needed a bunch of prep for coating)

c8-for-fb.jpg

On 6/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, The Guz said:

The advanced version does not rainbow as much as the original.  The advanced one will do the sweating effect as well as its is flashing. 

I was able to do a few more sections of the car. Yes, it virtually does not rainbow at all on my car color. It was about 3 minutes to tacky before I leveled and wiped the coating off. Checking with the LED light the coverage is even. I'm on the right track now, thank you for the application tips and suggestions!

Gary

Edited by GaryC