Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coating Restored Centerlines (or Enkeis equivalent)

1st Gen

Question

I am a relatively recent join to Adams Forum.  I have a 1968 SS 396 Camaro in the final stages of restoration, and expect to trade final payment for keys around mid to late June.

I have purchased the Graphene Ceramic Advanced Coating and have learned in multiple directions that I should wait for at least 90 days from base/clear coat application before performing the coating process.  This advice came from both members of this forum, the shop doing the painting, and directly from PPG.  So OK, I’m going to wait.  I’ll probably go ahead and coat the vinyl on the roof immediately, as well as glass.

HOWEVER, the Camaro’s tires and wheels don’t need to wait, and in the case of the wheels, shouldn’t, due to aluminum oxidation reality.  These wheels came on the car when I purchased it around 1980, and have been very recently totally buffed to perfection by a shop that specializes in this process.  They are either Centerlines or an Enkei version of the same look (jury’s out, and it doesn’t matter to me, since Enkei built very strong wheels, I am informed).  Accordingly, I want to coat these wheels appropriately to maintain the buffed shine, and probably should coat the tires as well.  Here is a pic to help define my need.  I am open to suggestions.

20230603_114742.jpg

5 answers to this question

I would not recommend using a coating on them because if oxidation does occur under it, you will need to polish off the coating to fix it. Instead, I would use something like H20 Guard and Gloss on them regularly and as needed.

Any pictures of the vinyl roof? And also, my recommendation is the Graphene Ceramic Glass Coating for your glass, not the Advanced.

Thanks for your prompt reply and advice!  Car was just painted (4-3-2024) and final buff occurred around late April.  This picture is relatively low-res and only captures a bit of the vinyl roof, but it’s the best I have until I actually receive my car, hopefully around mid to late June.  The car currently has 173 miles on this restoration, but all are prior to this paint job.  They are now putting windshield and rear window back in, and bolting all the external parts removed for painting, and it is scheduled for final upholstery on May 20, and yes, I am excited!!!

29 4-15.jpg

While I have your attention, I am also interested in advice for what you recommend I apply to bottom of the pan and wheel wells, if anything.  It is currently coated with ‘Raptor’ brand bed-liner. 

I live in a very wet corner of the Pacific Northwest, and don’t believe in keeping the car garaged just because it’s raining.  Toys like this are meant to be driven, IMHO, and so no hangar queens in this man’s fleet.  BUT that means my Camaro needs protection. 

I don’t have a really good picture of the pan as a whole, other than when the bed-liner was first applied with car on rotisserie, but here is a shot meant to show the exhaust that reveals the pan to some extent and looks like this:

Industrial Art.jpg

I am not going to be any help with the liner question, but wanted to say there is a great Adam's product you can use to add some shine before a wax/sealant/coating is allowed to be applied - Brilliant Glaze.  This is product will add shine without any waxes, and it something I put on any show car or garage queen before applying Americana Wax.

Adam's has Undercarriage Spray that gives that Raptor lining stuff a good finish. It says it's silica infused so there will be some protection from that but I'm not sure on longevity. If I remember correctly, this stuff makes garage floors incredibly slick if you get overspray or drips on it. Be careful with that.