Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana and vinyl decals

Sublime0546

Question

Currently on my car there are the standard Daytona decals on the Charger that have always been a pain to keep clean. I assume the previous owner had it detailed because all the way around the edges of the decals is darker than the rest of it so I am assuming was got on the decals. Usually I just use DS to clean them and then VRT as a protectant but am never fully satisfied with how they look. I know some people that say they use either 303 Aerospace Protectant which is kind of like VRT from the way it is described while others will use the Turtle Wax Ice Paste Wax. This part intrigued me so when I placed my order I began to wonder if it would be safe to go right over the decals with the APW or if the turtle wax brand is nowhere near on the same level as APW and could possibly damage the decals.

9 answers to this question

I had flat black decals on my 02 Monte Carlo. I never did anything different to them than I did to the rest of the car. Same wash, same wax, same detail spray. I never had any problem and I was the one who put them on, and they were on for the 7 years I owned the car. Never had any residue build up around the edges either. So in my opinion, just treat it like the rest of the car. :cheers:

That's good to hear because I won't have to worry about them being taped off and can go right over them. I will probably test it first on an inconspicuous spot first just to verify the results and then continue the application. I hope to do this all next weekend.

I went right over my vinyl lettering on the trailblazer as well. Other than the edge of the decal collecting wax, no harm done.

I used other waxes on the stripes of the 04 Commemorative Z06 and have never had a problem either.