Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help.. APC on my aluminum wheels....

Learo2000GT

Question

I was spraying the fender wells with the all purpuse cleaner and I got some all over my aluminum wheels. I then saw on the bottle that it said to dilute with aluminum wheels so I hurried up and sprayed it off... However it has left a resuide that I have been working to get out with polish #1. IT appears to be cominig out but the aluminum is looking scratched. Any help or tips would be great... These wheels cost me 2000 grand...

Thanks in advance

Doug

17 answers to this question

Hey Doug, I also have polished aluminum wheels and have used APC on them without a problem. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of what your wheels look like? That would help us determine what the problem and solution will be. How long did you let the APC sit on there for? Also what are you applying the Metal polish with? If they are clear coated you do NOT want to be applying metal polish to them.

Edited by bigred vette

If the wheels are not clear coated as was asked above, use the metal polish #1 with something a little more aggressive in terms of an applicator, such as an old white T-shirt. This gives the polish a little more bite. Once you have removed the offending residue, follow up with #1 again with a MF towel, then polish #2 to renew that brilliant polished look.

And if the wheels ARE clear coated it would make sense that they look scratched from using the MP. Can you get us the info on the rims ? MFG and Model ? Can you also tell us what products you have on hand so we can make suggestions based on the products you have :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks so much guys for the follow ups..... I even got an email from Adam himself. This goes beyond the call of customer service. The best I can discribe it is that it is a milky residue. They are centerline Matrix 5's on my Lightning. I dont think they are clear coated. Here is the web page. http://centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_detail.php?id=12511&type=vehicle&data=13

I dont think they are ruined by any means becouse I am able to get the mily reside off using poish 1 and a cotton applicator. However, it looked like some minor scratches were coming up on the flat part of the rim, so I didnt want to continue on untill I figured out what the best approach was to take to minimize any possible damage and frustration factor.

It should also be noted that it says right on the bottle to delute 50% with alumiunum surfaces, but I just spent the day before on my SRT 8 Jeep with no problems so I was cooking along and was rushing along and didnt think to read the bottle again... Like I said I dont think they are ruined by any means, just need to figure out the best way to correct them... Thanks again, and I can take pics if that will help.

Doug

PS Adam, I apprecaite the email and your cell phone number, but I am not going to bother you on a sunday... Big thumbs up for your products and customer service. I have baught about 500.00 worth of your stuff now and spent all weekend on my SRT8 and Lightning and love your stuff.... Thanks Doug

Here are some pictures. The first 3 pictures are of a wheel I started working on with polish #1 with a cotton applicator and wipping off with a adams microfiber towel. The last 3 pictures are of a wheel that was hit with the APC and I have not worked on yet. Thanks in advance for any and all comments. Thanks Doug

I just pulled this from Centerlines web page... I should have been a bit more vigalant and take full responsbility for what has happened, I do apprecaite any assistance and advise to bring these suckers back as much as I can... thanks Doug PS what is the base on the APC? Thanks Doug

Washing your wheels with mild soap and water on a weekly basis will help to maintain them. Wash wheels when they are cool to prevent spotting. You will also want to periodically polish the wheels with a non-abrasive, aluminum polish (some recommendations: Eagle One, Mothers, Meguiar's). Absolutely no ammonia-based or acid cleaning solutions on the wheels (or the tires for that matter). Helpful hint from Ron in the Sales Dept: A light coat of car wax on the wheels diminishes the amount of surface contaminants adhering to the wheel.

Use a MF towel to buff the wheels with polish #1, then use another MF towel to apply polish #2. Do a small portion of the wheel like this to test to see if it removes the scratches, I am positive it will. I've used the metal polishes on aluminum wheels like that before with beautiful results.

I know that Adam's MP is non abrasive and not acid based, not sure on the ammonia ? I agree with Charles, use a MF towel if you do not have a MF applicator. As it is a non abrasive cleaner you do NOT need to scrub, that is where the fine scratches may have come from. But lets see what this gives for results before trying other methods :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wanted to follow up. Sorry it took so long... got busy.. Anyways, I polished them up and they look great.... thanks Doug

Good to hear Doug, and do they look as good as before, or better?

How about some pictures?

Sorry for the hassle, and we need to make it more obvious on that product that on just the perfect temperature, and finish, things get milky. The perfect storm! Anyway, our Metal Polish always cures the issue.

Thanks for working through this with us Doug!:2thumbs: