Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams and the rotary

Guest AeroCleanse

Question

Adam's caters to the "weekend warriors" of detailing. They are not necessarily in the business of detailing, although quite a few professionals use these products. Because of that, Adam's likes to put in the hands of its customers products that are safe to use for the greenest detailer. The rotary polisher is not that animal and is why Adam's sells and uses the PC. As you know from my videos, the PC is a very effective tool once mastered. I have other polishers, but I use my PC 90% of the time.

Guest AeroCleanse
I use a makita 9227 rotary 90% of the time.

I use mine 100% of the time for machine work. My PC-7424 sits in a box unused now.

I use a makita 9227 rotary 90% of the time.

I use mine 100% of the time for machine work. My PC-7424 sits in a box unused now.

Would you suggest that a novice here buy one and use it on their rides? Better yet, would you be willing to pay for any paint screw up that they had with that machine?

Adam's stuff works fine with a rotary: great work time and not too much dust. The PC is the tool of choice for the most part, however: enthusiast product = enthusiast tool.

I'm an enthusiast and I don't use or have the need a rotary.

What you should say is that if you are in the business of getting cars in and out the door and don't have luxury of time for the finesse finish that a dual action will give you, then you need a rotary. I have absolutely no desire to wash my car a few times and be greeted by the holograms that a rotary leaves behind. I've seen and heard guys swear that they could buff a car with a rotary and not leave a single hologram. However, after I hit it with a bucket of water and some Dawn dish washing liquid, those holograms show up in full effect. :confused:

If all the folks who use a rotary were actually as good as they thought they were, the rotary wouldn't get such a bad rap in my book. However, I've seen some "Amateur Night at the Apollo" type work out of most of the rotary users I've delt with.

AJ,

As with anything you know its 99.9% user ability... you and I can pull things off with a PC that most beginners can't... same can be said for rotary polishing. I know of a number of very good pros who can do things with a rotary I can only dream of, but for every skilled pro with a rotary there are thousands of not-so-skilled people who have no business referring to themselves as detailers.

To the OP... yes... All of Adams products work just fine with a rotary. In my experience there are very few products that are DA or Rotary specific... with the right pad and technique the machines are interchangeable depending entirely on the users skill level.

Guest AeroCleanse
I'm an enthusiast and I don't use or have the need a rotary.

What you should say is that if you are in the business of getting cars in and out the door and don't have luxury of time for the finesse finish that a dual action will give you, then you need a rotary. I have absolutely no desire to wash my car a few times and be greeted by the holograms that a rotary leaves behind. I've seen and heard guys swear that they could buff a car with a rotary and not leave a single hologram. However, after I hit it with a bucket of water and some Dawn dish washing liquid, those holograms show up in full effect. :confused:

If all the folks who use a rotary were actually as good as they thought they were, the rotary wouldn't get such a bad rap in my book. However, I've seen some "Amateur Night at the Apollo" type work out of most of the rotary users I've delt with.

Never had any holograms when using a rotary. If you have holograms your technique is wrong. Like people that use a wool pad then never finish with a foam pad.

Why the heck are you using Dawn on your car???

I was unaware that rotary had a bad rap.

Never had any holograms when using a rotary. If you have holograms your technique is wrong. Like people that use a wool pad then never finish with a foam pad.

Why the heck are you using Dawn on your car???

I was unaware that rotary had a bad rap.

Dawn strips all the old wax off the car and leaves you with a clean surface.

Guest AeroCleanse
Dawn strips all the old wax off the car and leaves you with a clean surface.

It also damages plastic trim.

Guest AeroCleanse
Exactly. I use Adam's Car Wash to actually "wash" my cars.

You would be far better off doing an IPA wipe down than using Dawn

It also damages plastic trim.

Your right, but that's if your using it for every wash and scrubbing the plastic. Dawn should be used once or twice a year, when your doing your full detail. Other then that don't use it, it strips your wax and like you said is harsh on plastics and trim.

Guest AeroCleanse
Your right, but that's if your using it for every wash and scrubbing the plastic. Dawn should be used once or twice a year, when your doing your full detail. Other then that don't use it, it strips your wax and like you said is harsh on plastics and trim.

Dawn should not be used at all, its a common rookie mistake and is now folklore. If you need to strip wax IPA is the best way. If your polishing anyway its going to remove the wax. In most cases you don't need to strip the wax anyway.

Dawn should not be used at all, its a common rookie mistake and is now folklore. If you need to strip wax IPA is the best way. If your polishing anyway its going to remove the wax. In most cases you don't need to strip the wax anyway.

Soooooo are you calling everyone on this forum that uses dawn a rookie?:D:D:D Before I start a complete detail I like to see what the finish is like BEFORE I start any polishing.:rockon:

Guest AeroCleanse

I don't think this board is right for me. I give my professional opinion only to have to it laughed at. I thought the people on here would be interested in learning but it appears they are only trying to defend what they have been doing.

I don't think this board is right for me. I give my professional opinion only to have to it laughed at. I thought the people on here would be interested in learning but it appears they are only trying to defend what they have been doing.

Hey Andy, let me send you a PM. Please don't get the wrong idea, we joke around a lot. I dont want you to get off on the wrong foot.

First, you must understand that this is a Adam's detailing forum, discussing the proper use of Adam's products by Adam's users who are looking to obtain the best shine possible with Adam's products. Thus, if you attempt to introduce another manufacturer's product to the masses here, you are naturally going to run into some friction. I will be the first to say that Adam's is not the only product you can use in order to achieve a shine but again, this is NOT just a detailing forum, it's an ADAM'S detailing forum and thus the name, "Adam's Car Care Forums".

I don't think you or your abilities are being laughed at or made fun of at all. I think your delivery may have rubbed a few folks the wrong way though. Statements like this,

...is not going to win you any of the following here at all, especially when I and other seasoned detailers here know otherwise. You know the saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans." Although you may have and use different tools and products, the object here is to help those here who are using Adam's products.

As far as learning from you, you have to prove your worth first. Since you're new here, no one knows your ability. To just take your word sight unseen, well that's gonna be a hard sell when so many folks here have seen the work of our regular members. :thumbsup:

Edited by Junkman2008

Guest AeroCleanse
First, you must understand that this is a Adam's detailing forum, discussing the proper use of Adam's products by Adam's users who are looking to obtain the best shine possible with Adam's products. Thus, if you attempt to introduce another manufacturer's product to the masses here, you are naturally going to run into some friction. I will be the first to say that Adam's is not the only product you can use in order to achieve a shine but again, this is NOT just a detailing forum, it's an ADAM'S detailing forum and thus the name, "Adam's Car Care Forums".

I don't think you or your abilities are being laughed at or made fun of at all. I think your delivery may have rubbed a few folks the wrong way though. Statements like this,

...is not going to win you any of the following here at all, especially when I and other seasoned detailers here know otherwise. You know the saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans." Although you may have and use different tools and products, the object here is to help those here who are using Adam's products.

As far as learning from you, you have to prove your worth first. Since you're new here, no one knows your ability. To just take your word sight unseen, well that's gonna be a hard sell when so many folks here have seen the work of our regular members. :thumbsup:

You say you know otherwise, but you are incorrect when it comes to the use of Dawn. You wouldn't believe how many cars I've had to fix that the owners thought the use of Dawn was correct.

IPA = isopropyl alcohol