Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratch in glass

rb11701

Question

Can a scratch in glass be removed? Over the winter, I must have picked something up and when I lowered my driver's side windows it left me with a 2" or so light scrtach. I think the middle of the scratch might be a little deeper.

Not sure what my options really are. Can it be fixed DIY? Or is this something that should be left to glass people? I have no problem either way, but replacement isn't really an option so minimizing it would be great.

10 answers to this question

This has been beaten to death around here and nothing Adam's sells will remove glass scratches. There are some people who do glass polishing but it would probably be cheaper to replace the glass.

I think a professional could do something to minimize the scrtach. I have 2 super small chips in the windshield so I might be able to get a deal to do both the drivers window and the windshield. Have yet to price anything out, but I am thinking it might be cheaper than replacing the door glass.

Just wasn't sure if anybody here had any experience with that. Figured a paint polish woudn't do it seeing how hard the glass is.

Thanks!

The most aggressive thing Adam's would have would be SHR and a 4" yellow pad on a drill, but l doubt that'd do much. If you have them on hand it might be worth a try, but in the end I suspect a glass place is going to be your best bet. :cheers:

Rich

Use this advice at your own risk. This works best on side glass, not the windshield. It worked for me on some light scratches on a door window after a paintless dent removal guy (who is out of business now) carelessly let his tools dig into the glass while removing a door ding.

Dip 0000 steel wool in some scratch remover, and polish the area of the scratch. You'll soon be able to determine if this will help make the scratch less visible, or if the scratch is too deep to deal with. After you've gotten it out as much as you can, polish the glass with scratch remover and then a less agressive polish.

Note - I also tried this on the windshield of a car I did some restoration work on, to try to minimize a curved scratch caused by a bad wiper blade.

It didn't work as well, and with direct sun hitting the windshield, you can see light micro scratches where I used the steel wool. You wouldn't have this problem on side glass, which is more vertical, and that you aren't staring through while you're driving.

If you can feel it with you finger nail You cant get it off. But if you can not feel it then try some SHR and a yellow pad.

Yeah, I can feel the middle part with my nail. I gave the company Adam sent me an email to see what is up.

Already tried the SHR/Yellow combo. Helped a little to soften the edges of the scratch so it is less noticeable from certain angles but it is still there.

www.novusglass.com/home.asp

We have used these guys to get scratches out. I believe they are the most reputable in the industry, and are nationwide!:thumbsup:

Thanks! They have a location not far at all from me. Shot the owner an email. See what he thinks.

Just got the truck in Aug '08... scratch on the driver side window, good amount of rock chips (love RI roads) on windshield, and to top it off slipped on ice this past winter getting in..keys flew out of my hand and hit the dash under the climate controls and left a few little marks on the dash. What a winter....well you what they say about things in three's...