Customer Service 866.965.0400

Carbon FIber

V-RAPTOR

Question

What does everyone use on there carbon fiber bits to keep them looking great.

I will be getting a carbon fiber engine lid cover for the Elise (shaving weight) in a matte finish. Any thing special to consider while detailing the matte finish?

15 answers to this question

Just remember with Carbon fiber you need to wax atleast twice as often as you would with paint. It really needs some extra attention I've been fabricating carbon fiber parts for various applications for five years now and it's inevitable that every few months someone complains their part is yellowing. Of course after some discussion I find out they haven't waxed it as often as they should.

From another thread:

I treat caron fiber the same as anything else, some have clear coat and some have a gel coat similar to a boat. Usually the one without a clear coat turn yellow due to UV and usually when they go bad it comes down to sanding and re-clearing with an automotive clear.

Just remember with Carbon fiber you need to wax atleast twice as often as you would with paint. It really needs some extra attention I've been fabricating carbon fiber parts for various applications for five years now and it's inevitable that every few months someone complains their part is yellowing. Of course after some discussion I find out they haven't waxed it as often as they should.

So it is safe to use the Americana or buttery wax on Carbon fiber? For some reason I was under the impression it was not safe to wax?

I still have not received the piece yet but have been told through broken English that there will be a coat to protect the cover from the elements. It might just be applied on the out side IE the side not facing the engine. I will have to see if I can tell when I receive the cover.

I still have not received the piece yet but have been told through broken English that there will be a coat to protect the cover from the elements. It might just be applied on the out side IE the side not facing the engine. I will have to see if I can tell when I receive the cover.

If there's a clear coat, you could go ahead and treat it like normal paint. However, since it's an engine piece, any wax or sealant you put on it will break down and dissolve about 30 seconds after you crank the motor. Your best bet is probably to hit it with some Detail Spray and call it a day.

So is that the same for a regular car hood? That is the part I am talking about but its called a cover bc of the mid engine car.

What temperature does wax break down does any one know?

180* - 190* F for waxes and about 350* - 400* F for sealants