Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams Carpet Cleaner on leather?

The_Phoenix

Question

Hi guys, first post here I think...spent most of my time at DC and kinda forgot these forums extisted. Bad me.

Now, I've a question, I've not ordered any leather cleaner yet, but I got carried away with the carpet cleaner and cleaned pretty close to every surface in the interior of the Corvette. I didnt clean the top dash panel, but all the other plastics and leather (and carpet of course) got a nice scrubbing with the Carpet Cleaner. It worked -fantastic- but in hind sight...is the cleaner not good for those surfaces?

I should have asked before I did it, but too late for that.

16 answers to this question

This is actually an interesting question. I would guess it is not as strong as the leather cleaner. But I have no idea what either is made out of. Did you follow up with VRT or Leather conditioner ? I'm curious if there could be some type of reaction?

Myself, I would clean it all again with APC cut 10 to 1 and treat again with the proper product.

But who knows, maybe you'll be a trend setter :jester::jester::jester:

That is what we used before Adam's Had a leather Cleaner. It will not harm anything

Hi Justin, and Ron is right! No harm done, as the Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner is actually salt-based. You can drink it!

Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

Hi Justin, and Ron is right! No harm done, as the Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner is actually salt-based. You can drink it!

I'll take your word for it and not actually -try- that. But if its salt based, is there a danger of drying out any of the materials?

I've not directly used carpet cleaner on leather, but I've used it to clean a stain on the stitching on one of the vette's seats, since the stitching is a fabric. The area of leather around the stitching was not affected. However I've also gotten carpet cleaner onto some hard plastic in my Taurus and it made white spots - the plastic wasn't discolored, just the cleaner dried on the surface. Leather cleaner took care of that though.

Just use it properly and you'll be amazed. I had a grease stain about the size of a silver dollar under the passenger seat in my Taurus (probably from the power seat track) that I know had been there for at least 8 years. I was vacuuming it out a few days ago and decided to try the carpet cleaner on that spot. A couple of sprays and 15 seconds of scrubbing with a toothbrush...came right out. F'in amazing

I'll take your word for it and not actually -try- that. But if its salt based, is there a danger of drying out any of the materials?

You should always follow a cleaner with some type of conditioner, either VRT or Leather Conditioned to prevent drying out :2thumbs:

the Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner is actually salt-based. You can drink it!

Adam,

Please don't give Bill any ideas. He drinks enough other stuff without adding the Carpet Upholstery Cleaner to his list.

He is going to need some type of rehab if we don't watch out. :help:

I don't know about drinking the C&UC but I've been close to trying the detail spray....:lol:

Is it ok to use on the MB Tex (vinyl)?

I have only been using a damp MF towel to clean the seats.

MB Tex can be a finicky material - but more often than not, you can treat just like any other plastic/vinyl synthetic. Stay away from using a microfiber on it (or even real leather for that matter) because if there's even just a small crack in the material, rubbing it with a microfiber will exacerbate the crack and you'll end up with 2 year old seats that look like 20 year old seats. Always use detail sponges for leather/pleather material so you can more evenly and safely distribute pressure.

MB Tex can be a finicky material - but more often than not, you can treat just like any other plastic/vinyl synthetic. Stay away from using a microfiber on it (or even real leather for that matter) because if there's even just a small crack in the material, rubbing it with a microfiber will exacerbate the crack and you'll end up with 2 year old seats that look like 20 year old seats. Always use detail sponges for leather/pleather material so you can more evenly and safely distribute pressure.

Thanks for the info... so what do you treat it with?