Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning C6 ZR1 Wheels

XCELR8S

Question

The C6 ZR1 has carbon/ceramic rotors and GM does not recommend using cleaners due to causing damage to the rotors. The spokes are close together and the rotors are so big, they are close to the rims leaving very little clearance. I cannot get my hand or a brush in there to clean the brake dust even with just water. Short of jacking up the car and pulling the wheels off, does anyone have any suggestions on what might work to reach in this tight space to clean these wheels without causing damage? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

20 answers to this question

The C6 ZR1 has carbon/ceramic rotors and GM does not recommend using cleaners due to causing damage to the rotors. The spokes are close together and the rotors are so big, they are close to the rims leaving very little clearance. I cannot get my hand or a brush in there to clean the brake dust even with just water. Short of jacking up the car and pulling the wheels off, does anyone have any suggestions on what might work to reach in this tight space to clean these wheels without causing damage? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There has to be something that is safe, like normal car washing soap?

Thanks for the replies! GM refers you to the owners manual and in the case of the ZR1 to the General Tech Bulletin we got with the car that says apply no chemicals to the brake rotors. I will use plain soap and water as they recommend, but when you have narrow spokes, it is hard to get in there. I like the idea of using a sponge paint brush. It will work great on the back (Plenty of clearance), but the front has barely 1/2 to 1 inch clearance from the wheel to the edge of the rotor so will be tight, but worth a try. I guess could have the dealer pull the front wheels off next service and clean them then. Appreciate the input.

Edited by XCELR8S

:rockon:

Sounds like you just need to trade me cars, I have smaller hands so It'd be easy for me to clean the spokes and the rims on my GTO are easy to clean...its a Win win for both of us! :2thumbs:

They would have to be easier than my C6 Z06 wheels which have plenty of clearance. Could not give up the BEAST!!! Way too much fun!!!:cheers:

Thanks for the replies! GM refers you to the owners manual and in the case of the ZR1 to the General Tech Bulletin we got with the car that says apply no chemicals to the brake rotors. I will use plain soap and water as they recommend, but when you have narrow spokes, it is hard to get in there. I like the idea of using a sponge paint brush. It will work great on the back (Plenty of clearance), but the front has barely 1/2 to 1 inch clearance from the wheel to the edge of the rotor so will be tight, but worth a try. I guess could have the dealer pull the front wheels off next service and clean them then. Appreciate the input.

I wouldn't let the dealer touch anything. There are plenty of neat products out there to get in those tight areas of the wheels.

I wouldn't let the dealer touch anything. There are plenty of neat products out there to get in those tight areas of the wheels.

Amen, the only thing a dealership is decent at is laughing all the way to the bank. slap.gif

I wish I had the problem of not knowing how to clean the wheels on my ZR1 vette. Where are the pics?!

Just posted pics in my album of the beast. I will try some of the recommendations including the paint stick and rag. Might wirk on the fronts. The dealer I go to, the mechanic is a personal friend and a corvette nut and he treats my car better than his own, and I get to watch everything that goes on including pulling the car myself on the lift etc.

Hi Tim-

Thanks for your post and business! On your ceramic rotors, I'd use our Car Shampoo, and a Power Stick. Create a bucket of suds, and dunk the Power Stick in, then go to town on your wheels.

When done, use compressed air to blow the water from the lugs, then mist a light amount of Detail Spray on the wheel. Wipe down with the Plush MF Towel, and your wheels will be, and stay perfect!

That will be the easiest way to go, and the safest.

Thanks Tim!

-Adam:patriot:

Hi Tim-

Thanks for your post and business! On your ceramic rotors, I'd use our Car Shampoo, and a Power Stick. Create a bucket of suds, and dunk the Power Stick in, then go to town on your wheels.

When done, use compressed air to blow the water from the lugs, then mist a light amount of Detail Spray on the wheel. Wipe down with the Plush MF Towel, and your wheels will be, and stay perfect!

That will be the easiest way to go, and the safest.

Thanks Tim!

-Adam:patriot:

That works great! I've done it on cheaper wheels when I didn't want to use GWC (not that you have cheap wheels!)

Car looks awesome btw!

That works great! I've done it on cheaper wheels when I didn't want to use GWC (not that you have cheap wheels!)

Car looks awesome btw!

Thanks everyone!

As soon as I can get the Power Stick, I will give it a shot and see if it does the trick.