Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Clinic with The Junkman in Newport, KY!

Adam's Polishes and The Junkman combined for yet another detailing clinic for the Fort Thomas Corvette Club. The club put on the car show to benefit the Wood Hudson Cancer Research Laboratory. It was held at the Hofbrauhaus at Newport on the Levee and the cold German beers were pouring by the barrel full. They even had the waitresses dressed up in authentic German attire.

I have done a few clinics in the blazing sun and it has not bothered me at the slightest. This clinic was a totally different story. Once I got done with the demo, I darn near passed out from the heat and humidity! I actually had to sit down and sip water for 30 minutes before I could move again. Kentucky humidity is no joke folks! I'll know next time!

The car that I picked out belonged to a gentleman who stated that he was a "Meguiar's man" and that was all he used. He said that no one had ever touched his car before and he was real skeptical about me getting next to it, much less with a polisher. After a few people kept asking him if he knew who I was, he decided to watch me real closely and let me touch it. One guy was blown away that he didn't know who the Junkman was. I thought that was kinda funny because I'm not Billy Mays, I'm Bill "D" Mays, the much lesser known pitch man! :lolsmack:

When I finished the trunk on his Corvette, he couldn't get his wallet out fast enough. He could care less about how much the stuff cost, he was like, "Where do I sign!" I think he has officially been converted over and Meguiar's won't be seeing any more of his dollars.

Here are some pics from the event.

Here's the finished trunk. Check out the fenders. You can still see the swirls in the paint by looking at the sunbeam. Next, look at the sunbeam on the trunk. Night and day.

newport1.jpg

In this picture, I was showing the group the difference between just using SHR and how much deeper the color gets when you follow it with FMP.

newport2.jpg

I really don't know what was going on here. I think I was doing my, "quickest PC in the west" pose! I do know that I was applying FMP because I'm doing it with one hand. That's the owner eying me in the red shirt. We had a good time razzing each other doing the clinic as he was former Army and me being a former Marine! Notice how much deeper the trunk is compared to the rest of the car.

newport3.jpg

Here's his ride and some of the show's organizers dropping by to see the final outcome as I put on the final touches.

newport4.jpg

Over all, it was a good time for all. There was a visit from the rain Gods and once it stopped, the rain on his trunk beaded up like pearls on a necklace. The rest of the car kinda just looked like it had been rained on. I pointed out the difference and he agreed. To bad I was too shot to take a picture. I was toast by then!

Edited by Junkman2008

Man AJ that shot where you were describing following up the SHR with FMP is amazing! I have watched your videos and results are always fantastic along with all of the others on this forum, but that shot just blows me away. It is really clear in that picture the difference after using FMP. I often wondered how you could do this stuff in the heat and out in the sun. I was helping my son-in-law on his Fusion yesterday morning in the garage out of the sun and we were both drenched when we were done from the humidity. All of us here sure enjoy your knowledge and all of your entertaining ways of telling us. Thanks for posting and I look forward to meeting you at Carlisle.

Why didn't you do the rest of the car :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

It was like that here yesterday too, I was standing on my deck for ten minutes and that was enough for me, never mind detailing in it :help::help::help::help:

Great job as always AJ !!!!!

Man AJ that shot where you were describing following up the SHR with FMP is amazing! I have watched your videos and results are always fantastic along with all of the others on this forum, but that shot just blows me away. It is really clear in that picture the difference after using FMP. I often wondered how you could do this stuff in the heat and out in the sun. I was helping my son-in-law on his Fusion yesterday morning in the garage out of the sun and we were both drenched when we were done from the humidity. All of us here sure enjoy your knowledge and all of your entertaining ways of telling us. Thanks for posting and I look forward to meeting you at Carlisle.

Thanks Tom, I enjoy spreading the knowledge as long as someone is helped by it. :2thumbs:

The thing is, the heat didn't bother me. It was the humidity that kicked my butt. It never gets that humid at Carlisle and Bloomington Gold was HOT, but no humidity. I'm still feeling a little of the effects of it but I'll be good in a day or so. I got to get ready for the New Jersey clinic this weekend so there's no time for feeling beat down. Plus, I wouldn't miss seeing all you guys at Carlisle at the end of the month!

Hey Bill, I gave the guy your address. He wants the rest of the car done and he ain't taking no for an answer. Remember, respect your elders, and guys who can plummet you! :D

Edited by Junkman2008

Just curious AJ. What are those 6 holes just above the lock?

Looks like someone took a drill and 1/8" drill bit to the lid.

I was showing the crowd how to use the focal pads to get around emblems and tight areas and the owner said, "Hey, I can take that stuff off if you like!" He then climbed in the trunk and removed all of the emblems that area!

You can see a little bit of the emblems in the corner of this pic...

newport5.jpg

AJ, I can't wait until you decide to come to Oklahoma. I'll let you show my how to detail my Thunderbird. It still has the original 41 year old paint!!! I always admire your work, and am slowly learning by watching the videos.

Remember, I'm only good for a fender or half a hood. After that, you get to drive... the PC that is! :D

Remember, I'm only good for a fender or half a hood. After that, you get to drive... the PC that is! :D

What if I bought the BBQ and beer? There is an excellent place right up the road from me. They even have entertainment on Friday and Saturday night.

What if I bought the BBQ and beer? There is an excellent place right up the road from me. They even have entertainment on Friday and Saturday night.

Then you'll get wax on the fender once I'm done with it. lol.gif

Adam will tell you, I never do a complete car without at least 2-3 weeks to work on it and a $2000 payment! I could never do this for a living. Doing 2 cars a month doesn't quite pay the bills!

Hey AJ I was the guy there in the orange shirt yesterday standing around all day watching and learning. It was great to meet you and see your work in person. The difference was night and day on that trunk lid. The product is second to none, and you have a amazing detailing talent.

Hey AJ I was the guy there in the orange shirt yesterday standing around all day watching and learning. It was great to meet you and see your work in person. The difference was night and day on that trunk lid. The product is second to none, and you have a amazing detailing talent.

Hey Chris, glad you chimed in! It was good to see another forum member there too. Nice to put a face with the name! :thumbsup:

Everybody, Chris was like a hawk the entire time I was working. He did not miss a beat, checking out everything I did. It was funny, I joked about him not believing my videos and that I was using 2 different cars, switching out for the fixed one at the end! lol.gif

Chris will vouch for how easy (or sweaty) it is to get this type of result with the right technique and Adam's products. I expect to see a shiny ride in his post now that he has attended Junk U! :lol:

Hey Chris, glad you chimed in! It was good to see another forum member there too. Nice to put a face with the name! :thumbsup:

Everybody, Chris was like a hawk the entire time I was working. He did not miss a beat, checking out everything I did. It was funny, I joked about him not believing my videos and that I was using 2 different cars, switching out for the fixed one at the end! lol.gif

Chris will vouch for how easy (or sweaty) it is to get this type of result with the right technique and Adam's products. I expect to see a shiny ride in his post now that he has attended Junk U! :lol:

I will have to get some pics uploaded, but my truck is silver and it looks pretty good without any buffing. I haven't gotten a PC yet.

It was extremely hot/humid there. I was sweating just standing there.

• 5 weeks later...