Customer Service 866.965.0400

I hate roadworks!!!

kyle@stillen

But, I love Adam's car care products!

So, for the past year or so I have been loaning my truck to my best friend who is going through some tough things and really could do with a helping hand. I only live 5 miles from work so for me, it has been a good excuse to ride the bike and get some exercise or when it rains I get to borrow a shop vehicle. Well, this weekend I picked up the truck and I immediately noticed that there was white paint thrown down both sides of the truck. My friend felt terrible about it but I told her I understood completely that it was unavoidable and there was nothing she could have done about it. They were painting the streets and my mud terrain tires did a thorough job of picking up the paint and throwing it down both sides of the truck. Not her fault, and it would have happened if I were driving it too. Here are some crappy cell phone pics of the damage:

paintdamage2.jpg

paintdamage.jpg

So, Saturday I pulled out my Adam's detailing kit and went to town. I first started with just trying to pick off the bigger pieces with my finger nail. I have pretty short finger nails so I wasn't afraid I was going to cause any damage and sure enough, that process went fine. After the bigger stuff had been removed I followed up with a clay bar and some detail spray. Then of course I finished with the polish and finally a coat of buttery wax.

Thankfully I had waxed the truck about a month ago so it was still pretty well protected and I'm sure that helped protect the paint. Here are some photos of it after the clean-up:

cleanafterpaint.jpg

cleanafterpaint2.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photos. I was kind of in a rush so I just grabbed my phone.

Thanks for the compliments!

In the last picture there are three areas with scratches and those were all within the first few weeks of owning the truck. I accidentally dropped my hose one day when cleaning it and the rough nozzle I was using took off a bunch of paint, then another one of the scratches is from my friend opening up my door into a stucco wall by accident.

Unfortunately this truck has not had a really easy life. Normally I am really good about keeping my vehicle's clean and scratch/damage free but for some reason this one's had it pretty rough. Also, Toyota paint is junk!!! It scratches really easily!

Nice save Kyle.

My wife has done this several times, but she manages to only get in paint inside the wheel wells.

Yea, unfortunately my mud terrain tires stick just outside the fenders so they did a pretty good job of flinging the paint down the sides. The wheel weels are pretty well covered with white paint, and I'm not sure what the best way is to get that off. Any suggestions?

Good Job, glad you were able to catch it in time.

I remember quite a few years ago they painted the building at work. Needless to say, the over spray was over a lot of the cars in the lot. The company hired someone to remove the over spray. All I know is that they used some type of jell and a razor blade to remove the paint. People that had it done where very satisfied with the outcome. Lucky for me, working midnights at the time, I wasn't affected.

Yea, unfortunately my mud terrain tires stick just outside the fenders so they did a pretty good job of flinging the paint down the sides. The wheel weels are pretty well covered with white paint, and I'm not sure what the best way is to get that off. Any suggestions?

So far I have done it with some cleaner (APC or diluted car wash in a spray bottle) and a plastic scraper or a plastic razor blade.

Jim (jjwvette) suggested 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, which I purchased, but have not removed the wheels to test yet.

Thanks for the heads up! Being that my truck is lifted I buy Adam's undercarriage spray by the gallons because of how much my wheel wells show so this is really bugging me! I'll have to try some of those methods this weekend and see how they work out!

Thanks for the compliments and advice!

As far as not losing my cool...Like others have said, it was nobody's fault, just a really crappy situation. I actually felt bad for my friend. She knows how clean I keep the truck so she was almost in tears when she told me what happened.

• 1 month later...
So far I have done it with some cleaner (APC or diluted car wash in a spray bottle) and a plastic scraper or a plastic razor blade.

Jim (jjwvette) suggested 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, which I purchased, but have not removed the wheels to test yet.

Tried the 3M Cleaner with a plastic putty knife over the weekend and it worked great on the dried paint.

Archived