Customer Service 866.965.0400

Use my PC on plastic body parts...???

iiiJEFFiii

Question

Are plastic panels supposed to be polished the same way as the rest of the car when using a PC? I was using my PC with one of the little yellow spot pads and SHR on my rear view mirrors. After I finished breaking down the polish, I looked at the pad and there was quite a bit of my black paint color on the pad. Am I not supposed to use the PC when polishing the painted plastic parts of my car? I tried it on the side skirts and the same thing happened. :pc:

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!

9 answers to this question

Normally a painted plastic body part can be treated just the same as any other body panel, just use less pressure as the plastic can flex. But if you are getting color on the pad that would mean there is no clear coat on those parts. Not knowing how thick, or thin, that paint is I would polish those parts by hand :thumbsup:

Normally a painted plastic body part can be treated just the same as any other body panel, just use less pressure as the plastic can flex. But if you are getting color on the pad that would mean there is no clear coat on those parts. Not knowing how thick, or thin, that paint is I would polish those parts by hand :thumbsup:

:iagree: With Bill :jester:

Thats very strange... I'm assuming this was on the G in your avatar??

I've detailed a lot of G35's and G37's and never had color come up on the mirrors or side skirts... are you the original owner of the car? Is there a possability there was body work or wet sanding done in the past??

There may have been some kind of body work or wet sanding done in the past. Honestly, I'm not really sure. Either way, there's nothing about it that really looks strange or out of the ordinary. It's not like the paint looks flat or anything like there's no clearcoat on it. There's definitely still a clearcoat. I can't say how thick, but definitely there. So nobody else has seen this happen before?

There may have been some kind of body work or wet sanding done in the past. Honestly, I'm not really sure. Either way, there's nothing about it that really looks strange or out of the ordinary. It's not like the paint looks flat or anything like there's no clearcoat on it. There's definitely still a clearcoat. I can't say how thick, but definitely there. So nobody else has seen this happen before?

If theres clear you wouldn't have color coming off.

FWIW a color only coat can look just as glossy as a clear coated job, there visually won't be any distinguishable difference between an area with clear and an area with no clear.

If theres clear you wouldn't have color coming off.

FWIW a color only coat can look just as glossy as a clear coated job, there visually won't be any distinguishable difference between an area with clear and an area with no clear.

Makes sense. I dont know what I was thinking.:loser: A color only coat? Do they actually paint parts like that?

Archived