Customer Service 866.965.0400

Digital Camera Recommendation

Sooners

I'm looking to get a new digital camera to replace my Canon PowerShot A40, which is about 7 years old. I'm not looking to spend more than $200. Just looking for something light/compact that takes decent pictures. Any recommendations?

Hi Joey, we have been happy with our Casio Exilim EX-FC100. We picked our up at Costco for about $200 six months ago. Video camera works great, and the only thing we added was a 16GB card.

My $0.02! :thumbsup:

Nikon Nikon Nikon NIKON!!

Can't go wrong with any of the Nikon 'point and shoot' cameras... I have an S70 just for carrying around when I don't want to lug the DSLR's out. The image quality is phenomenal!!

The new S570 is a great camera... 5x optical zoom, large LCD display, 12mp and super compact

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635630-REG/Nikon_26178_CoolPix_S570_Digital_Camera.html

For a little more I'd recommend going with the S630, you'll get 7x zoom which gives you greater versatility, as well as the VR image stabilization that Nikon builds into their high end SLR lenses, and high sensitivity ISO (6400) for low light photography. Basically it has a lot of advanced features built in to make taking good pictures dummy proof.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601934-REG/Nikon_26156_Coolpix_S630_Digital_Camera.html

A high ISO is a must when shopping for an everyday camera, especially a point and shoot where you're limited by your flash configuration. Taking indoor pictures often lead to shadows and blown out shots when you use a flash. With a high iso and the nikon auto iso features you can shoot in low light without the aid of a flash so indoor pictures turn out lifelike and not blurry.

I bought a Sony when in St. Thomas and have been very happy with it.

It takes 1080P pictures and 720P video and has stereo mics on it so it takes good video as well. It's VERY compact as well. Large touch screen too.

It's got some cool features that I haven't even delved into yet.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=Froogle&sku=SONDSCT900RD

Remember it's really ALL about the lens quality and Carl Zeiss makes a heck of a lens... It's 4 times optical and like 8 or 9 total with digi zoom which works amazingly well.

Chris

These are the guidelines I follow for cameras:

Video- Sony

Point and Shoot - Canon (but Nikon is definitely making a move on this spot)

SLR- Nikon

Same here, except video (no preference, don't have one)

Canon makes fantastic P&S. Take for instance the G9/10/11. No one else offers anything that compares to those.

But I LOVE my D300!

I went ahead and got the Canon SD1200 IS. I've been happy with my old Canon, and they currently have a customer loyalty rebate program. Was looking for something that would be easy to carry around in my pocket and take good pictures. This should fit the bill. Thanks for all the feedback.

These are the guidelines I follow for cameras:

Video- Sony

Point and Shoot - Canon (but Nikon is definitely making a move on this spot)

SLR- Nikon

Have you been looking in my camera bags :lolsmack:

Sony MiniDV

Canon SD1000 P&S

Nikon d90

I went ahead and got the Canon SD1200 IS. I've been happy with my old Canon, and they currently have a customer loyalty rebate program. Was looking for something that would be easy to carry around in my pocket and take good pictures. This should fit the bill. Thanks for all the feedback.

:worth:

:jester::jester::jester:

:worth:

How did I know I would get this?:lolsmack:

Here's a pic of the old and the new taken with my phone. As you can see, quite the size difference. The old one is quite heavy and clunky compared to the new one. Then a pic of the old taken with the new. Once we get all this snow out of here, I'm going to detail my car with my new Adam's products, and I'll post up some pics using the new camera.

Okay, I need a little help here. I've been messing around with the new camera, and the quality of the pictures didn't seem to be as good as my old camera. So, I started to do some comparison shots, and there's quite a bit of a difference. The following pictures are in the following order.

Canon A40 with flash

Canon SD1200 with flash

Canon A40 no flash

Canon SD1200 no flash

Any idea why my older camera is capturing better colors than my new one?

Should have got a Nikon :lol::lol::lol:

That's what I was thinking.:lolsmack:

On a serious note, they usually come from the factory with weird settings, go through the menu's and make sure everything is setup right :2thumbs:

I was wondering about that. I don't remember ever having to do anything with my older one. The SD1200 comes with an Auto feature (supposed to pick the right settings for you based on the surrounding conditions), which I'm starting to think isn't as great as it sounds. I played around with a few of the settings and got some better looking photos, so I may just have to tinker with it.

That's what I was thinking.:lolsmack:

I was wondering about that. I don't remember ever having to do anything with my older one. The SD1200 comes with an Auto feature (supposed to pick the right settings for you based on the surrounding conditions), which I'm starting to think isn't as great as it sounds. I played around with a few of the settings and got some better looking photos, so I may just have to tinker with it.

I'm sure you will have it dialed in quick :2thumbs:

well for starters I don't think the flash fired on that first one.

second, like Bill said, check all the settings. The newer camera I'm sure has settings that the older one didn't even have so you will want to change the settings in contrast, saturation and maybe even sharpness. it looks like the old one had the saturation really cranked up quite a bit.

Press Function Set and set it to Auto

Scroll down the menu on the left and set to S for Superfine

Scroll down one more time and set to L for Large picture

Press the button to the left of function set and make sure it is set to Normal

Press the button to the right of Function set and make sure the flash is set to A, for auto.

Press the button above function set and set ISO to Auto

That should put you into a good place to take decent pictures. If that doesn't get it done we can start talking about the features in the Tools section of the Menu.

Archived