Customer Service 866.965.0400

Product Shelf Life

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Question

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Can someone enlighten me to the shelf-life of the varied Adam's Products?

Was helping my close friend (NinefootNic) organize his garage in his newly acquired home Sunday. We were going through all of his Adam's stuff (he must own stock in the company or be related to Adam somehow). I was helping him refill his spray bottles with his impressive collection of gallons and he was like "nah... that one is out of date" --- I was like "Huh? it's car wash!" (along with a few expletives).

He said it had separated, that he'd spoken with (name forgotten) at Adam's and they sent a 16oz to replace it (his gallon was about full... maybe 6-8 oz missing via the PUMP he has on the bottle).

I had NO idea this stuff expires. I've been enlightened as to the BORN ON DATE on the bottles but...

shelf life on DS, APC, VRT, Leather and Int. Cleaner / Conditioner not really needed since I'll blow through that stuff like coffee at an AA meeting but...

The polishes, waxes (hand style as well), etc... how long does this stuff keep for?

7 answers to this question

According to Adam, try and replace them about once a year. :cheers:

You guys are great! So, the official temperature range to keep products from separating, or changing color:

Minimum: 45 degrees

Maximum: 85 degrees

Chemicals hate temperature change, and the more often the temp changes, the faster the products will spoil.

We heat the products to get the color to remain consistent, as well as getting the surfactants to work, which keeps the products from separating. By heating the products to that temperature again, about 95+ degrees, they reverse, separate, or change color.

Keeping product in the trunk over summer is a great way for things to get ugly, unless stored in a bag or sealed bucket out of the sunlight.

If possible, it's best to put your car care products in the wash room in the winter and summer, if your garage reaches temperatures outside of the range above.

My advice: Buy car care products just like you buy bread!

Buy it fresh, and often. Chemicals age at 10X dog years! :willy: So, a bottle of polish or wax that is a year old, is really 70.

Don't buy more product than you will use in a year, as the possibility of extreme temperature change is always there. (Unless you live on the beach in San Diego.)

Another thing to consider: We improve 50% of our line every year, and 100% of it within 2 years. Do you want the old news?

Technology never stops, and today's, "BEST," is only the best for a few minutes, before something better is developed.

Plan on using everything up by the end of the year, and get fresh goods in February-March, as we almost always take the winter to develop new products.

So, that's my $.02 on keeping car care products! :patriot:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Awesome post man, thanks for the info. I'm one of those that will search for an answer in a forum for a couple pages of threads then give up when the keyword doesn't catch my eye.

I keep my goods inside the condo... and since I'm in a condo, I have no garage --- not even supposed to wash my car but they can suck it. Buncha old bitties who gave up on their dreams and ended up with a $50k condo at 70... I'll be in a house by summer :) (if my other house in FL sells). I'll miss it here... that is, if I had a crack habit, I'd miss it here.

Archived