Customer Service 866.965.0400

Zero Swirls?

wong600

Question

Hey Guys,

No matter how much I polish I still see some imperfections in my paint.. I don't really see swirls now but more like "broken single circles" (hope this makes sense) and some isolated lines here and there.. and here and there

does that mean I'm making progress and should go further? or is that pretty good and I'm too much of a perfectionist?

Is "zero swirls" really possible?

Anybody can claim zero swirls out there?

BTW, I use the orange pad and SHR with lots of pressure at 5000 followed by white pad and FMP and same amount of pressure (pad only spin completely around after 3-5 seconds)

Dave

15 answers to this question

Zero swirls is an attainable goal... the reality of it is you will chase it for a long time only to find out that the world hates swirl free cars. I've reserved myself to a 90% perfect is good enough philosophy.... especially if its a car you plan to drive regularly. Getting to perfection is hard enough... keeping it perfect will drive you slowly insane.

Keep in mind that at 90% your car will look better than 99.9% of the cars on the road.

Zero swirls is an attainable goal... the reality of it is you will chase it for a long time only to find out that the world hates swirl free cars. I've reserved myself to a 90% perfect is good enough philosophy.... especially if its a car you plan to drive regularly. Getting to perfection is hard enough... keeping it perfect will drive you slowly insane.

Keep in mind that at 90% your car will look better than 99.9% of the cars on the road.

What Dylan said. Really 100% is attainable but not practical.

I was the same way on my black truck, until I talked to Dylan and threw that 90% philosophy on me as well, and I have to say it makes since. I really only focus on the door molding up because you can't really see under the door molding on my truck so it saves my back pain as well lol. I am happy if I get all the major swirls out, those small ones can wait until I have more time.

:iagree: If it's not strictly a show car, there's not much point. You're pretty much going to be the only person that knows they are there. Like Dylan said, your car will will still look better than just about all the other cars.

Its all about setting realistic expectations... COULD you get your car to 100% swirl and defect free? Absolutely. SHOULD you aim for perfection? Sure, but keep in mind that perfection will be a never ending game of catch up b/c each time you drive it, wash it, wipe it down, or look at it cross eyed there will be some minor imperfection.

I have gotten paint to perfect on a few cars/trucks over the years... the ones that I did were going for car show trophies, magazine features, or gonna be locked away in a garage for a long time, not to be driven. If you want to enjoy your car don't spend all your free time stressing on defects that only you will notice.

It took me a solid 3 days to get my TBSS to absolute flawless perfection... a trip to a cruise, a run to the mall, a little dust, some rain, and a wash later the perfection was gone and I realized "Screw it!! Life is too short and I enjoy driving this thing too much to waste all my free time cleaning it." Keep it clean, do your best to minimize the minor defects, and as time goes on and you see more an more defects in the cars around you it'll become obvious that 90% is a very nice place to be :D

Here was my 100% flawless completion... it was the culmination of a very long 3 day weekend from sun up - sun down each day.

image0004-1.jpg

image0003-1.jpg

image0006-1.jpg

Dylan, that looks fantastic. I know that I decided that 100% is unobtainable 100% of the time.....if you drive it. I'm usually satisfied with less 85-90% on the Corvette. My white car (wife's DD) probably doesn't get that far. And my pickup (my DD) is my practice field, so it's probably less than that.

My car is 100% flawless right now and has been for nearly 3 months. Granted I haven't driven it in 3 months and I gave it a good polishing before I put it away. lol It will get screwed up the first day I drive it this spring.

Wish I had that option, but my truck is my DD, so unless I pedal a bike for 3 months I have to watch all my hard work evaporate shortly after it leaves the garage LOL.

Thanks for all the great responses guys! you're awesome

:)

Yeah, I just wanna get my Charger "a little bit better" .. haha.. but that little bit is gonna kill me! :willy:

I really just wanna do as well as I can while I'm into it.. maybe if I can just get one door perfect ..haha :pc:

hey obssest,

good username! Yeah, the hood.. totally! that's where I spend too much time:pc:

4 months ago, a black 2010 Camaro SS came to me. My wife and kids have been ranting daily "You're obsessed with that car!"

"I know." :D

I swore I would never get vanity license plates, but this one seemed so fitting (OBSSEST) and I snuck the SS in there. I'm a dork. I know.

Now my obsession has expanded into polishes, sprays, and microfibers.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread here...back to my polish questions...

1.) Are the Adam's polishes diminishing abrasives? I have seen the terms SMAT and DAT used on other forums, do these apply?

2.) Any idea how much clear coat a few passes of Swirl and Haze remover with a DA is removing? Can this product be overused and cause long-term damage? I've seriously changed my wash routine with the 2 bucket system but I'd imagine I'll still want to polish with swirl remover several times a year. Is this acceptable?

Archived