Customer Service 866.965.0400

How often can I polish

burgmo3

Question

I know that once a car is polished you don't need to do it again as long as you wash and dry properly. But out of curiosity how often can you polish your car, I know some cars have thicker clearcoats than others and so some can be polished more. I've already polished my car once this year and plan on doing it twice a year atleast.

18 answers to this question

Not sure who told you this, but it's SO not true! :o

You'll ALWAYS get scratches no matter how careful you are.

It's just easier and less frequent the better you take car of the paint.

Ok why do you foam it and then rinse the foam off and then wash it?

I rinse the car with water spraying the heavily caked areas well and then foam her down well and then use a wash pad to clean her. Being VERY careful not to use too much pressure on the pad and using the two (or even three) bucket method. I will also hose off the wash pad if I deem it needed. :thumbsup:

I don't alway do it like that. I usually foam it then just wash, but when there are big stubborn pieces of crap on my car I like to let it soak then hose it off just to get the big stuff off.

My SHR is over a year old now... Almost gone but still works the bees knees...

Remember to shake the crap out of it for a while to make sure everything is mixed up well.

Chris

To the OP... don't overthink it too much... it would take thousands of hours of polishing on factory clear with PC for 'overpolishing' to ever be a concern. I am constantly stripping my finish, correcting, and waxing to test products and processes and I have yet to go thru a clear coat.

Most people won't own their cars long enough for it to ever be a concern.

Is there a shelf life for the SHR and FMP?? I did my 2010 camaro and hardly used any. By the way I am in aw with the results, great products:2thumbs:

Not really... I've got a bottle of SHR thats well over a year old and its still going strong. Just make sure to shake them up well prior to each use and you should be fine for a long time.

He has a passion, deep pockets, and free time.

Dylan knows him. He's a good guy. I hope to be able to do that one day. It's no different from a hobby.

I assume you mean spyral? :thumbsup: Can't wait for his all Adam's Detail Weekend. He does excellent write-ups and is very detail oriented.

I know that once a car is polished you don't need to do it again as long as you wash and dry properly.

Not sure who told you this, but it's SO not true! :o

You'll ALWAYS get scratches no matter how careful you are.

It's just easier and less frequent the better you take car of the paint.

Thanks for the replys guys, I do try to keep the paint swirl free. I use a foam gun then hose of the car, then I wash it by hand using the two bucket method with a grit guard.

Ok why do you foam it and then rinse the foam off and then wash it?

I rinse the car with water spraying the heavily caked areas well and then foam her down well and then use a wash pad to clean her. Being VERY careful not to use too much pressure on the pad and using the two (or even three) bucket method. I will also hose off the wash pad if I deem it needed. :thumbsup:

ok thanks, I have never dilluted the soap in the foam gun I have always used it straight. I am guessing the only reason to dillute the soap would be to save product, is this the reason

Correct. Well I have a foam gun that also adjusts different levels of water coming through the hose with the foam. But, I do put water into the bucket with the soap as well to save product like you mention.

I personally usually foam the whole car down with a pretty water dilluted soappy foam and let it run off. Then I rinse it all off. Then I put the foam gun at the highest foam setting with the smallest amount of water and then soak the car in that and let it sit for a good 3-5 minutes. Then I rinse that off. Then I go to the 2-bucket method.

Has always worked awesome for me.:thumbsup:

ok thanks, I have never dilluted the soap in the foam gun I have always used it straight. I am guessing the only reason to dillute the soap would be to save product, is this the reason

I personally usually foam the whole car down with a pretty water dilluted soappy foam and let it run off. Then I rinse it all off. Then I put the foam gun at the highest foam setting with the smallest amount of water and then soak the car in that and let it sit for a good 3-5 minutes. Then I rinse that off. Then I go to the 2-bucket method.

Has always worked awesome for me.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replys guys, I do try to keep the paint swirl free. I use a foam gun then hose of the car, then I wash it by hand using the two bucket method with a grit guard.

do you spray with the foam gun and let it set for awhile and then use your wash pad or do you use the foam gun and let it set then hose off, and then wash your car. reason I am asking is all the videos I have seen say to use foam gun let it break down the dirt on the car and then use your wash pad to wash the whole car and then hose off. Your way sounds better just wondering

I was giving my last car (which was out side 24/7) a good annual polish and then trying real hard to wash it correctly and minimize new swirls. A coat of MSW and multiple coats of Americana or other waxes really helped keep it clean and seemed to make it easer to wash, too. I also started using one of Adam's foam guns to lay down a big layer of soap before washing with the pad -- that really helped break up the grime and reduced the effort needed with a wash pad.

As for new swirls, If I saw an area that needed a little touchup I'd just do that part. I think once or twice a year is fine for a full polish, but don't go making excess work for yourself. And realize that an outdoor car is NEVER going to stay perfect, so don't drive yourself nuts trying. :help:

Archived