Customer Service 866.965.0400

Work In Progress: The Mean Diesel

Marylander

Ok, so I'm aware that VW Jetta doesn't exactly scream "attitude". But I really like the engineering and amazing MPG and torque of VW's new Common-Rail diesel engine, so I bought this 2010 with the idea of giving it a bit of swagger (for a daily driver) without making it into a clown-car like some overdone/slammed VWs you see.

Here it is just after I bought it and gave it it's first Adam's treatment:

IMGP0867-1.jpg

And here's what I have in mind for it:

Get rid of all the chrome, starting with big old front end.

Lower it a bit with some H&R springs and stiffer shocks

Put on some more aggressive wheels and summer performance tires

jetta-wolfsburg-grille.jpg

So far so good. The grille is gone and the windows are tinted. The shock/strut kit and wheels and tires are in the garage (just waiting for better weather and more free time to get it done. And then I'll get to work on all the other chrome. Stay tuned!

Its already looking better with that huge chrome peice gone. :rockon:

No joke... I ordered the replacement grill within hours of bringing the car home. And the best part was that I sold the OEM chrome grille for just about what the black grill (also OEM, from the Wolfsburg Edition model) cost me. :banana:

Has anyone made performance mods for the new engine yet? Last I had read people were having a hard time upping the power with the new emission system.

On a similar note, do you know what the last year of the 'old' engine was? The one without urea injection. I keep thinking about buying one of those for my daily and tweak the power output to match the 'everything I own must be performance oriented' mantra I have.

Has anyone made performance mods for the new engine yet? Last I had read people were having a hard time upping the power with the new emission system.

On a similar note, do you know what the last year of the 'old' engine was? The one without urea injection. I keep thinking about buying one of those for my daily and tweak the power output to match the 'everything I own must be performance oriented' mantra I have.

I think 2006 was the last year of the older diesel engine. The 2009/2010 one that I have does NOT have the urea system -- it has a "Diesel Particulate Filter" that collects and then every few hundred miles burns off excess particulates. the very early ones seemed to have a few issues but knock on wood I haven't heard much on them lately.

There are one or two companies that have come out with chip tuning for the new common-rail diesel. The initial reviews are promising but I'm going to hold off on that for a while -- I want to see how they do in the real world before throwing that dice. :willy:

Ah, I just found this:

Those of you planning to buy the new Bluetec diesel SUVs from Mercedes Benz will want to make sure you don't miss your regular service intervals or ignore warning lights. If you do, you might find yourself stranded at the mall. In order to meet new NOx emissions standards these vehicles and others from Volkswagen/Audi (not including the Jetta) and BMW use a urea injection system to eliminate almost all the NOx. The urea is stored in liquid form a tank on board the vehicle and slowly injected into the exhaust stream where it forms ammonia that reacts with the NOx and converts it to water and nitrogen. The tank is sized so that the vehicle should be able to go close to 15,000 miles without replenishment. The 7-gallon tank will be topped up at the regular 10,000 mile service interval. However, as with fuel, urea consumption is in part a function of driving conditions. If a service is missed or extra urea is consumed, a warning light and counter will appear in the gauge cluster. When the urea level gets critically low, the counter will give you 20 re-starts, after that the car will not start until at least two gallons of urea are added to the tank. Mercedes will be selling spill proof bottles of urea at dealerships that drivers can use to top up their tank, however this will automatically be part of the regular service along with oil and filter changes. Mercedes roadside assistance will also be able to top up the urea tank for stranded motorists. The urea solution, or AdBlue as it's called, will initially cost about the same as diesel fuel or about $4 a gallon, so filling at the 10,000 mile interval should cost less than $30. Check out our first drive impression of the Mercedes BlueTec diesels here.

http://green.autoblog.com/2008/10/20/mercedes-new-bluetec-diesels-will-not-start-if-urea-runs-out/

Weird that the Jetta is the only that doesn't use it. Should make deciding between the Golf/Jetta easier. lol

I hear ya on waiting before modding. From what I have read there seems to be a lot of concern for the longevity if tuned.

Ah, I just found this:

http://green.autoblog.com/2008/10/20/mercedes-new-bluetec-diesels-will-not-start-if-urea-runs-out/

Weird that the Jetta is the only that doesn't use it. Should make deciding between the Golf/Jetta easier. lol

I hear ya on waiting before modding. From what I have read there seems to be a lot of concern for the longevity if tuned.

I had my prior car, and Audi A4, chipped at about 30K miles and it went to 100K with zero issues. But this diesel engine is a whole other animal... I'll let others be the guinea pigs. :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm guessing that article you found was written before VW announced the 2010 Golf TDI -- I'm 99.9% sure that the Golf uses the same non-urea engine as the Jetta.

I had my prior car, and Audi A4, chipped at about 30K miles and it went to 100K with zero issues. But this diesel engine is a whole other animal... I'll let others be the guinea pigs. :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm guessing that article you found was written before VW announced the 2010 Golf TDI -- I'm 99.9% sure that the Golf uses the same non-urea engine as the Jetta.

If they are like any other vehicles with Dpf's I would not chip it unless I removed the filter. :thumbsup:

Also diesel exhaust fluid, is just a fancy name for urea/distilled water. Its like 3-1 water to urea IIRC.

If they are like any other vehicles with Dpf's I would not chip it unless I removed the filter. :thumbsup:

Also diesel exhaust fluid, is just a fancy name for urea/distilled water. Its like 3-1 water to urea IIRC.

I have heard that as well. I have also heard that Mercedes charges like 40 dollars a quart to refill the urea tank and the new GM trucks are only going to be like 3 dollars a quart. I wonder if the Mercedes stuff is really that much better or any different.

I have heard that as well. I have also heard that Mercedes charges like 40 dollars a quart to refill the urea tank and the new GM trucks are only going to be like 3 dollars a quart. I wonder if the Mercedes stuff is really that much better or any different.

I've got to think that the price will come down for DIYers who traditionally find ways to avoid the dealers, but MB, BMW, VW and other dealers will still be able to make insane markups by doing the services for those who are either too scared or uninformed about the alternatives. Nothing really wrong with that -- it's just the marketplace. For some people it will be worth it to have the dealer do it for $100 bucks or whatever... Some people have more money than time, and others will just want the peace of mind of having the dealer do it.

Like I said in my post above, DEF is purified water and 32.5 percent automotive-grade urea. Its an exhaust aftertreatment, meaning it doesn't go into the engine, only the exhaust.

Like I said in my post above, DEF is purified water and 32.5 percent automotive-grade urea. Its an exhaust aftertreatment, meaning it doesn't go into the engine, only the exhaust.

I know it is injected in after the engine. I am just wondering if there is any difference between different manufacturers and their blends of urea. I did not know that it was mostly water until your first post though. :cheers:

Well in theory it is all the same stuff with the same % of urea-water. As for how much MB makes off selling their bluetech stuff I would think its just a rip off. You can buy the stuff now for pretty cheap, if I was buying a new truck I would be stocking up on this stuff now :lolsmack:

I used to sell vw's for a while. Should be a nice car, and they always drove nice. Lot of torque. My p's have a 08 passat that they love, and my brother has a 08 GTI slamed way to low for my taste. I traded my 05 S4 for my evo, just scared me having a audi with no warranty and almost 50k miles when i bought it.

11636_180921974920_713824920_270928.jpg

11636_180921964920_713824920_270928.jpg

I used to sell vw's for a while. Should be a nice car, and they always drove nice. Lot of torque. My p's have a 08 passat that they love, and my brother has a 08 GTI slamed way to low for my taste. I traded my 05 S4 for my evo, just scared me having a audi with no warranty and almost 50k miles when i bought it.

11636_180921974920_713824920_270928.jpg

11636_180921964920_713824920_270928.jpg

I'm sorry but those wheels? My friend has a white lowered GTI on BBS wheels and it looks about 5x better than that.

Archived