Customer Service 866.965.0400

Work In Progress: The Mean Diesel

Marylander

I used to sell vw's for a while. Should be a nice car, and they always drove nice. Lot of torque. My p's have a 08 passat that they love, and my brother has a 08 GTI slamed way to low for my taste. I traded my 05 S4 for my evo, just scared me having a audi with no warranty and almost 50k miles when i bought it.

11636_180921974920_713824920_270928.jpg

11636_180921964920_713824920_270928.jpg

Yea, some of those VW guys just go silly low and the cars start to look wrong. I want more of a BMW stance to mine. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry but those wheels? My friend has a white lowered GTI on BBS wheels and it looks about 5x better than that.

He had these cheap 650 wheels first. Then bought the amg wheels used off ebay for 1100. They were beat up, so he polished the lip himself, and painted them white. He had them like a root beer color first, and was gonna paint his front grill to match. :( He just sold the white wheels this weekend, and some how got 1300 for them with tires.

9120_147815094920_713824920_2422356.jpg9120_153472519920_713824920_2476815.jpg

Yea, some of those VW guys just go silly low and the cars start to look wrong. I want more of a BMW stance to mine. :thumbsup:

Ya hes on cheapo $600 coilovers with coils cut. I hate his car, he just sold those white amg wheels, and ordered 17x10.5's and going to run 215s. So stupid. My audi i kept simple. Few power mods but simple, and clean of course. Loved but just to much $$ to do anything or if something breaks.:loser:

:rockon:

DSCF2509.jpg

DSCF2462.jpg

DSCF2463.jpg

Nice Audi, Don. Here's mine. I got to 100K miles (mostly trouble-free, I must say) and then started worrying about the long term repair bills. It was basically "stage 1" modded... Borla exhaust, GIAC chip, Bilstien sport shocks and minor stuff like that. I must say it was a great, fun car. :2thumbs:

62f5d24a6c.jpg

He had these cheap 650 wheels first. Then bought the amg wheels used off ebay for 1100. They were beat up, so he polished the lip himself, and painted them white. He had them like a root beer color first, and was gonna paint his front grill to match. :( He just sold the white wheels this weekend, and some how got 1300 for them with tires.

9120_147815094920_713824920_2422356.jpg9120_153472519920_713824920_2476815.jpg

Ya hes on cheapo $600 coilovers with coils cut. I hate his car, he just sold those white amg wheels, and ordered 17x10.5's and going to run 215s. So stupid. My audi i kept simple. Few power mods but simple, and clean of course. Loved but just to much $$ to do anything or if something breaks.:loser:

:rockon:

DSCF2509.jpg

DSCF2463.jpg

That is a nice clean audi. I hate cars that are overdone. I can't believe he got 1300 for those wheels/tires :lolsmack:

Nice Audi, Don. Here's mine. I got to 100K miles (mostly trouble-free, I must say) and then started worrying about the long term repair bills. It was basically "stage 1" modded... Borla exhaust, GIAC chip, Bilstien sport shocks and minor stuff like that. I must say it was a great, fun car. :2thumbs:

62f5d24a6c.jpg

Ya I saw your for sale post, clean car and good price. I just couldnt stand spending 1500-2000 for catback, another 1500-2000 for downpipes. I bought used milltek catback for 900, and used apr downpipes for 800, cut off the miltek mufflers, and threw on magnaflow race mufflers. Sounded like a F1 car haha. I also bought the Luger 19's off ebay. I just scared me I bought it with 38k put about 6k on it. First day I bought it and on my way home cel came on. Then went into limp mode next day. I had a failed cat, and I lucked out I had warranty for two more weeks. Otherwise It would have been 3500 to fix the dead cat. Also had stock brakes that were starting to go, and a stock clutch that was starting to slip. With no real aftermarket stuff for either youre kinda stuck going oem again. I got quotes of 4-5k for the clutch, and another 2k for brakes. So stuff was gonna add up fast for me. After selling VW's and having used older vw/audis on the lot I always said I wouldnt buy a euro car unless it was certified. I went to a nice used car place to look at 03-04 cobras. Drove three and hated each one. Saw a the silver S4 they still had and drove it and bought it for 23k with 38k had every option. Also with the chain on the S4 v8's you have to pull the motor before 100k and replace the entire driving chain before it breaks. Which is another 5k. :mad: I really loved how it drove, and miss it sometimes for sure especially for road around here. With blizzacks car was a tank in the white stuff. Plus there's no 12 second S4's so to me low 13's felt slow after a while with the power and weight of the car. They started making supercharger kits, but for 10k :lolsmack:

Ya I saw your for sale post, clean car and good price. I just couldnt stand spending 1500 for catback, another 1500-2000 for downpipes. I bought used milltek catback for 900, and used apr downpipes for 800, cut off the miltek mufflers, and threw on magnaflow race mufflers. Sounded like a F1 car haha. I also bought the Luger 19's off ebay. I just scared me I bought it with 38k put about 6k on it. First day I bought it and on my way home cel came on. Then went into limp mode next day. I had a failed cat, and I lucked out I had warranty for two more weeks. Otherwise It would have been 3500 to fix the dead cat. Also had stock brakes that were starting to go, and a stock clutch that was starting to slip. With no real aftermarket stuff for either youre kinda stuck going oem again. I got quotes of 4-5k for the clutch, and another 2k for brakes. So stuff was gonna add up fast for me. After selling VW's and having used older vw/audis on the lot I always said I wouldnt buy a euro car unless it was certified. I went to a nice used car place to look at 03-04 cobras. Drove three and hated each one. Saw a the silver S4 they still had and drove it and bought it for 23k with 38k had every option. Also with the chain on the S4 v8's you have to pull the motor before 100k and replace the entire driving chain before it breaks. Which is another 5k. :mad: I really loved how it drove, and miss it sometimes for sure especially for road around here. With blizzacks car was a tank in the white stuff. Plus there's no 12 second S4's so to me low 13's felt slow after a while with the power and weight of the car. They started making supercharger kits, but for 10k :lolsmack:

I hear you on all that. I had some preliminary quotes on stuff I thought might be going on the A4 and decided I'd much rather put that $$$ into a new car.

And yea, on those S4s (and all mid-to-highline euro cars) you quickly hit that point where mods are REALLY expensive and pretty much just drive down the value of the car the second you bolt them on.

There's nothing like a quattro on a wet or snowy road, though. :D

Ok, time to get this thread back on track. This weekend I got rid of all the chrome trim. Definitely a step in the right direction. And yes, this pic was taken in the sale spot (Lowes parking lot) as the last one. I don't get out much. :D

Before:

jetta-wolfsburg-grille.jpg

After:

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

Thanks Chris! :cheers: I covered the trim with black vinyl stuff. I really like the overall look but from up close it needs some help -- I either need to re-do some spots or remove the trim and replace it with real black parts (which would be the right way, but a tremendous pain.)

The vinyl does look REALLY good in the places where it's on right, but the flubs look bad. It might have been easier to do the vinyl on a really hot day when it would have been more pliable.

Rich

Thanks Chris! :cheers: I covered the trim with black vinyl stuff. I really like the overall look but from up close it needs some help -- I either need to re-do some spots or remove the trim and replace it with real black parts (which would be the right way, but a tremendous pain.)

The vinyl does look REALLY good in the places where it's on right, but the flubs look bad. It might have been easier to do the vinyl on a really hot day when it would have been more pliable.

Rich

Were did you get your vinyl? I need to do that to my G8!

I got it here:

http://shadowlinetrim.com/diy.html

My advice would be to get the largest roll (5 inches by 30 feet, I think) and cut it into strips 2.5 inches wide by however long you need it. Practice, Practice, Practice and don't rush -- your first few pieces WILL be disasters. A heat gun or hair dryer make stretching it around curves and edges much easier, but it can weaken with TOO much heat. It IS possible to get good results, but it's going to take practice. Like I said, I'm going to re-do most of mine sometime when it's warmer.

If you google "Vinyl trim install" you'll find some videos that make it look easy -- but I can assure you those guys have a lot of practice. :cheers:

Rich

• 1 month later...
Looks good! I really like those wheels. A modest drop to lessen the wheel gap, and it will look even better. :burnout:

Exactly... in the trunk and just waiting to be installed is an H&R Touring Cup kit with new springs and struts that will drop it about 1.25 inches. (and improve the handling, of course.) Hopefully my mechanic buddy will be able to get that done this week. And then I'll be pretty much "done" with the car. for now, anyway. :lol:

Archived