Customer Service 866.965.0400

Porter Cable Problem??

Chadoo951

Question

Hey guys. I just got my Porter cable the other day in the mail from Adams. I Remember at one of the last detail clinics that I went to Adam was there and was actually able to stop the spinning of the pad with his hand. It would not spin and just oscillate in one place.

On mine. It spins crazy fast, And if you try and stop it. It will burn you as it tries to rip off your hand LOL.

Even in the lowest OPM. If you try and hold the pad from spinning. The whole thing will just stop and wont even oscillate.

I remember Adam being able to get the red line on the PC to stay in one spot as he was working the polish into the paint. On mine. The red line isnt even visible when it is turned on. Its like a grinder pretty much that is way off balance. LOL.

What should I do?

-Chad

15 answers to this question

When Adam was demonstrating it stopping or showing the red line, was he doing this with his hand or with the pad on the paint? He may have been using his hand for demo purposes, but you're really not supposed to be running the PC without it being in contact with the paint. If you draw a line on the backing plate, you should be able to slow the PC down and see the line moving around by applying pressure. This is when the pad is in contact with the paint. Remember, when you're polishing, you need to apply pressure.

:welcomebanner: Chad!:welcomebanner:

Friends, if there are issues with an order, defective or broken product, or anything that you need us to do in order to provide excellent customer service, please contact our team for an immediate solution!

• Phone: (866) 965-0400 Ext. 1

We maintain the industry's only 110% Satisfaction Guarantee, and I promise to keep you as a satisfied customer.

Posting a rant on our forum will not get the problem handled immediately, and we would appreciate a direct contact via phone or email so we can solve the problem immediately!

We are humans here at Adam's, and we sell products made by humans, shipped by humans, and those products are then delivered by humans.

(Lot's of opportunities for errors when humans are involved. That said, I promise to correct any problems when ordering from Adam's Polishes.)

Thanks for contacting our helpful Customer Service Team Members with any issues with our products or service.

Sincerely,

Adam Pitale

Founder, Detailer

Chad,

You know where I live man... I'm available all day tomorrow and I'll be in the garage all day Saturday working on another car. Stop by and I'll take a look at it, but I think you might be over-thinking things a little bit, bro.

****, TBSS owners aren't all that sharp :jester:

Daytona blue z- he was demonstrating him stopping the pad with his hand. i have not tried it against the paint yet. i guess i should.

Chris05gto- this was in no way intended to be a rant. i was just trying to gather information about the porter cable to in fact see if i am over thinking the cituation. and i wanted to see if my questions could be answered on here first before i decided to call the customer servine number.

Dylan - i will see you after i get off work saturday after 2:30 if your okay with it.

Not sure if this is related or if it will help but...

I purchased my PC at the last clinic held in the Torrance warehouse. When talking to one of the guys helping customer's there (sorry I can't remember his name but he had a cast on his foot at the time) I asked about this little half circle of metal that came with the PC. He explained that it was a balance weight and that it needed to be installed so that the PC would operate correctly.

Once I got home, I installed this piece (removing the one already in place) and started using the PC. OMG! It was so hard to control and really hurt to use it for any length of time. I thought I had a defective unit until I actually went back and read the instructions (Duh!) and soon realized that I must have misunderstood him to mean that the correct weight had ALREADY been installed by Adams.

Not saying this is your problem but figured I relate this tale in case it helped you (or anyone else had a similar problem.) :)

Daytona blue z- he was demonstrating him stopping the pad with his hand. i have not tried it against the paint yet. i guess i should.

Chris05gto- this was in no way intended to be a rant. i was just trying to gather information about the porter cable to in fact see if i am over thinking the cituation. and i wanted to see if my questions could be answered on here first before i decided to call the customer servine number.

Yea I know, just wanted to help you out! Every things cool!!:2thumbs:

Make sure the washer that is in the bag is installed? Not sure on the newer models if this is still needed or used.

No! It is not installed!!!.. I was wondering what the hell that is for.

Where does this go?

I looked at the directions, And this has to be it. I will look again.

WELL GUYS!!!!

If your porter cable comes to you in the form of a grinder... This is what you do.

There is a washer inside the bag that came with the PC. You have to take off the backing plate, by using the wrench that came with the PC. You wedge that wrench behind the backing plate onto the nut that the backing plate itself is fastened to. Then you will spin the backing plate counter clockwise to losen the backing plate from the PC. Then just slide that washer onto the threads that are on the back of the backing plate and re-install that onto the porter cable, using the wrench to hold the nut in place while you spin the backing plate clockwise.

Thats it!. Now I have a PC that oscillates. And doesn't just spin like a grinder that is out of balance.

Now you should be able to hold the PC against your hand without it trying to rip your hand off. Meaning: The red line on the backing plate should stay be able to be held in one spot.

Just in case anyone else is as special as me and has a PC in their hand for the first time.

so if we order the gen 2 system now do we get the yellow backing plate or the new backing plate?

I think the yellow pads have gone away (may still have some smaller kits with yellow)... At least with the polishers, the new pads come with them.

But someone from Adam's will be able to answer that...

Archived