Customer Service 866.965.0400

Few Questions Before Big Detail

hawgfan

Question

Ok so I am planning to detail my truck this weekend, and I have a few questions.

What else can be used as a Clay Lube, besides Detail Spray, or can anything else be used?

Do I need to Clay the whole truck or just the flat panels, like hood and roof? I have done a complete clay but it was about 6 months ago.

What is the best wax to use seeing this truck is always outside, and it is my daily driver? I think I can answer this one MSW!!!!!

What is the one tip you can give me on washing my truck, this is the part of the process I am having problems with. I do the 2 bucket wash, use a foam gun, and even use the pooling method and a blower to dry, but somehow I am still getting swirls.

When during all the steps do or can I apply BSG?

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer, I have watched all the videos again and again, and these are the few questions I still have. Thanks again.

Ok here is my truck before the big detail, it has been so hot here lately, and raining that I still haven't had a good weekend to complete the full detail. I have washed and clayed but that was a week ago. I need some help with the tire picture, meaning how do I clean between those lungs. Just wondering if there was a faster way. The picture with my reflection in it is just about what all my paint looks like (when its dirty lol), so do I still need to start with SHR or do you think I can go straight to FMP.

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

19 answers to this question

If ur low on detail spray for claying, something I used to do before finding adams was use dawn and water. I would put 2 tablespoonds of dawn in the spray bottle I had and fill it with water. It worked flawlessly, and helps to strip even more of the old waxes and such off of the car as you are claying out the contaminents as well.

I only use detail spray now though. ;)

If you have a power washer use it. It does so much more than a hose. The only time I literally have to touch a car if I wanted to is to dry it. I still do the 2-bucket method though.

You can NEVER be too safe. So, for a truck like that, during the wash, I would change the rinse bucket with grit guard about 3 times during the whole process. When I'm washing I also rub it against the grit guard and then I rinse it out over the ground and then I physically inspect it every time before I put it back into the soap bucket to do the next panel.

When doing a panel, only do one half of it on one side of the pad and then flip it for the rest.

Like others have stated, try investing in 2 pads. Get the jumbo pad for everything on the top half where strong dirt doesn't collect as much and be cautious when passing the wheel wells and high dirt areas when washing, do those last and pay strong attention to your wash pad. Get another pad for the bottom section.

When using the foam gun...lay a very dilluted mix of soap down, cover the entire truck in it. Then, put it on the highest foam setting and go over the whole truck. Cover that baby in foam. Then, wait about 1-2 minutes and then start your 2-bucket method.

Good luck. ;)

PS: Wash in shade!

PSS: Invest in some Green Wheel Cleaner (GWC). Try that. Also try diluting the VRT like others have said and spray it on. Or deform your sponges and get to working on applying heavy amounts of VRT. Lot of tire there.

I do that but I am talking about cleaning them, I use APC and a tire brush but when they dry they still look dirty.

Sorry I misunderstood you, the APC and tire brush should do the trick. Maybe you can try a smaller brush (toothbrush). I don't worry to much about that because the VRT will make them look new.:2thumbs:

Ok Thanks I was under the impression that the tire had to be spotless, but I will try it and take another pic Thanks again

For your tire grooves mix VRT & Water 50/50 or 60/40 and put in spray bottle.:thumbsup:

I do that but I am talking about cleaning them, I use APC and a tire brush but when they dry they still look dirty.

Sorry I misunderstood you, the APC and tire brush should do the trick. Maybe you can try a smaller brush (toothbrush). I don't worry to much about that because the VRT will make them look new.:2thumbs:

Does anybody have any tips for my tires on getting in the grooves.........

For your tire grooves mix VRT & Water 50/50 or 60/40 and put in spray bottle.:thumbsup:

All I want to say is that BSG is going to make all your chrome POP:drool:

I am debating on taking all the chrome off and blacking it out. Just haven't made up my mind yet.

Does anybody have any tips for my tires on getting in the grooves.........

If ur low on detail spray for claying, something I used to do before finding adams was use dawn and water. I would put 2 tablespoonds of dawn in the spray bottle I had and fill it with water. It worked flawlessly, and helps to strip even more of the old waxes and such off of the car as you are claying out the contaminents as well.

I only use detail spray now though. ;)

I am pretty much stocked now on DS order just came, I know have about 2 1/2 gallons so I think I have plenty. Thanks

well it's not looking good for the detail this weekend, we are under a tornado warning all weekend lol, but if there is a clearing that I can at least wash and dry my truck, I can pull it into the shop and work on the rest from there. Like I said I will post picks when I get done. Thanks

Jason,

All good advice above. Clay the entire truck, but the horizontal panels will probably have more contamination. I usually use DS for claying, but have used the other methods in a pinch. Not sure why you might be getting swirls, wash in linear wipes using a clean mitt helps. Eventually you will probably get them, it's the nature of the beast, just try & minimize them. I suggest MSW for an outdoors kept DD, BSG goes on after the second buffing of MSW. Take care!

Bruce

Jason, I don't know if you have used Adams Car Shampoo (car wash) but I have used a diluted down spray bottle with 1/2 car wash and 1/2 water for claying. I know the discussion of using waterless wash was that it might be too slippery for the clay. I have not tried that. After using the car wash, I personally like Detail Spray and I also buy it by the gallon because it is great to use when drying the vehicle. I blow off 90% of the water after washing the car, lightly spray down the car with DS and then wipe dry with the white drying towel. It really leaves a clean smooth and silky finish. I definitely use the MSW with my daily driver but it is best used with the PC. While I have not had any problem getting it off others have commented on it. I think the key is to put on a thin coat with the PC. I only use BSG on my 32 for the car shows since it helps hide imperfections but doesn't really give you protection. Hope this helps

:iagree: Just what I was thinking.

Jason, I don't know if you have used Adams Car Shampoo (car wash) but I have used a diluted down spray bottle with 1/2 car wash and 1/2 water for claying. I know the discussion of using waterless wash was that it might be too slippery for the clay. I have not tried that. After using the car wash, I personally like Detail Spray and I also buy it by the gallon because it is great to use when drying the vehicle. I blow off 90% of the water after washing the car, lightly spray down the car with DS and then wipe dry with the white drying towel. It really leaves a clean smooth and silky finish. I definitely use the MSW with my daily driver but it is best used with the PC. While I have not had any problem getting it off others have commented on it. I think the key is to put on a thin coat with the PC. I only use BSG on my 32 for the car shows since it helps hide imperfections but doesn't really give you protection. Hope this helps

I would also clay the whole truck again. A smooth finish is the foundation for a great shine. I don't use the PC on an unclayed finish.

I only use DS for a clay lube, and now I get it by the gallon. I think the claying you do now after 6 months will be easier than the first time. Mike has covered the other topics pretty well.

The one wash thing I would add is to not move the pad over the finish in circular motions- do long lines front to back. And only do a couple of strokes with each side of the wash pad, then clean it in the rinse bucket and wring it out outside of the bucket before taking it back into the shampoo bucket.

Good luck on the detail this weekend! One thing 'd say is to perfect a 2x2 area on the hood first, then apply that same technique over the entire truck. This way, if you need to make corrections in your technique, you can do them before tackling the whole truck.

As far as your questions:

I think most people only use Detail Spray, although there has been some discussion about Waterless Wash. If you feel that you are going to run out of DS, you can cut it with a little water to stretch it out (I did that recently).

MSW is most durable...some folks may vote for Americana as well.

Make sure your wash pad is clean and don't use too much pressure. Rinse it often. Use 2 different pads, one for the top, one for the bottom. Other than that, are you sure you are introducing the swirls, or were they already there?

I apply BSG after the wax...let it sit and haze for as long as you can stand to wait around, then buff off. If the truck sits outside though, the BSG isn't gonna stay on very long because its just not that durable.

Hope that all helps! Post up some picts when you are done! :2thumbs:

Archived