Customer Service 866.965.0400

Vette guys, how often do you get revved at?

IMADreamer

Long story short, there is a new C6 Vette convertible in my family and I finally got that chance to take it out last night. I've always been on the fence about Vettes, loved the go, they looked good, but I always thought they were for older guys and not me. I've tuned several with HPT and have always respcted the power and what you can squeeze out of them, and until last night I realized I never actually took the time to play with one and enjoy it.

So it was about a 30 mile round trip to the steak house we were going to and to get their we left our farm, took what used to be US 36 to interstate 72 which crosses the Mississippi River into Hanibal, MO. I was just getting a feel for the car didn't want to get crazy with it and so I was taking the time to feel out the controls, get a feel for handling, and play with the gadgets. It was pretty easy to fall in love with the car, especially considering that my 6'1 300 fat butt was very comfortable, which I did not expect at all. Even getting in and out was easy.

So I get to Hanibal and turn off the interstate and I swear every pick up truck, family car, what ever was driving aggressively around me. They would take off from the light like a bat outta hell, in the parking lot this one truck really nailed and another revved at me. My boy racer phase ended ALONG time ago and it takes more then some fool in a truck to get me to show off. It really got me thinking though, is this common for the rest of you Vette guys? Do you get revved at alot? Does it seem like people are constantly trying to goad you into racing or atleast driving aggressively? This was never an issue in my Camaro SS (unless it was a civic in the next lane), definitely not an issue in my Cobalt SS (again unless it's a civic). I went to bed last night thinking I was exaggerating that, but I swear everyone and their dog was revving around me.

Anyway, the return trip home was fun, it was a clear bridge across the river and well I had to see what the girl would do. I was just laughing, and I suppose if a car makes you do that it's a pretty darn good car. My views last night of the Vette have changed, I love it. I get it now, and I will own one. Now, where can I put two turbos under the hood? lol

That happens everytime we take the Big Block out for a ride. Everyone wants to hear the motor run wide open or see the car do a massive burn out.

It is very hard not to show off when someone asks you to. :D

I was driving the Big Block once and I could see a cop coming up behind me. I got stopped at a light and I looked over and the cop had pulled up next to me. I could see him mouth to his partner "thats a chick driving that Vette"! I asked him if he had the "go fast" chip in his Charger and he laughed and said, "Why, want to race?" :burnout:

I just shook my head and laughed. :lolsmack:

I find if I'm out on a Friday or Sat night i'll get a fair amount of that, but running around during the day it's not bad. On the hours when "the kids" are out with their trucks, ricers, Mustangs, etc everyone seems to want to tailgate and push you along, or zip in/out/by on the highway as if to say "see, my car's fast, too". I just watch 'em go by and say to myself (or my wife), "go get 'em, champ...". :loser:

It happens often enough...Ya learn to ignore it...most days. I have long tube headers and a pretty healthy exhaust, so I get a lot of "Nail it! Smoke 'em!" calls from pedestrians or passengers in other cars.

I've found more issues with people staring too much and not paying attention to the fact that they are drifting into my lane.

Glad you fell in love with the Corvette...used ones are very affordable and do quite well will MPG if you can keep your foot out of the throttle. Digitialcorvettes is a great place to learn more than you'll ever need to know. :thumbsup:

Like I said it's odd, I've tuned a bunch of them but that's all work and I'm paying attention to the computer and not the car. But last night it was just me and the car and I loved it. I also loved the face on my uncle when he was riding and around it. It's his car, and he's wanted one his whole life, so for his 55th birthday he bought one. I'm so glad he did because you can just tell it turns his clock back 30 years when he's around it or talking about it. I loved seeing that. We've had a lot of stress at the farm lately and it's just awesome to see it go away around that car.

I had a brand new Z06 mess with ME, lol. I get a lot of people trying to race or do burnouts, gets old after a while really. I very rarely see Corvette's driving 'erratically', maybe thats why insurance for my mustang is higher than for a 500 horsepower Z06.

Guest Luke Warmwater

A guy in the office just picked up a red C5 Z06. Really sharp car. Has a 383 stroker he said. I like all nice cars :)

I get ricer kids revving at me in the G8. They are usually in traffic and driving like idiots.

Yeah, those guys are to be expected because they are dying to prove their economy car is quick, when we know it's not. Back before my old Camaro went track only I would get that atleast once a day from some ricer. I still get it in my Cobalt SS. I just ignore them. Eventually Darwin will weed all of them out.

Maybe it's because I got a late start in life getting back into the car scene after raising two kids and slaving on my house, but I love the attention the 32 gets on the road. My daughter rode only once in the car and said she couldn't get over the honking and thumbs up that we got. I definitely enjoy that type of attention more than the want to drag type. It is fun driving either the 32 or the G8 because of the different feels of each car driving them. Of course I can't wait for Al to give me a ride in that ZR1 of his. I once had a friend who let me drive his new Porsche and it ended a friendship because he drove like an old lady and he didn't like how I drove his car. While I didn't think I did anything wrong, he did. That sure cured me driving other peoples car. I have a buddy with a Cobra that he built over a year ago and I still have resisted the urge to drive it.

Archived