Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is it safe to let GWC soak for an hour or two?

Sooners

Question

I have some stubborn brake dust on my wheels (bought the car used). It's not that noticeable until you're up close and cleaning, but I think it could look better. I've tried claying and polishing which has helped a little, but there's still some that seems to be baked onto the finish. I used to use the P21S gel wheel cleaner, and the directions say to let it soak for up to 2 hours for stubborn areas. Anyone know if it's safe to let the Green Wheel Cleaner sit for this long? Would it make a difference? Would it even stick and stay on the finish long enough?

21 answers to this question

I know it sounds like lots of work, but I take the wheels off about once a month (April-Sept) and wash the barrels of the wheels. Much easier to get to. GWC usually takes it right off. I used it yesterday on my SIL's car which was very bad, and took the brake dust off without much work at all.

Here is the pic of the wheels. Crappy pics cause the wheels are on the car, but you can get the jist of it. My winter tires are the REAL bad ones, lol. They are pure black on the inside. Make sure you're looking at the wheel, not the cement on the other side.

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

Can we see a photo of the wheels?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Adam, not sure if you were talking about my wheels or Frank's, but here's some of mine. As you can see from the first pic, the wheel doesn't look that bad from a distance, but when you get up close you can see areas where it's not coming clean. I tried a toothbrush with some GWC last night in one area (last pic). It actually turned out pretty good.

The other thing that concerns me is the way the wheels feel. The wheels are staggered, so they're not rotated. The front wheels have a rough texture to them and claying them hasn't helped much. The rear wheels are smoother and glossier. It almost seems like the wheels were neglected and the brake dust has eaten away at the clear. Or, I'm guessing the wheels may have been refinished. Not sure what to make of it. The front wheels definitely feel rougher and aren't as glossy as the rears.

I used to be crazy like that too. Used to take off each wheel and clean the crap out of the barrels. Then I discovered adams power stick.....now I am probably only going to have to take them off about once a year. :rockon:

I'm in the same boat. Now I use the power stick and only take the wheels off in the early spring to apply some MSW and in the fall to do the same thing before winter. Now I don't have any problems at all, especially with the power stick.

How do you guys go about cleaning the inner side of the wheels?

I literally have to hold the power washer after it soaked for 10 minutes in APC about 5 inches from the inside and it would slowly come off.

Any suggestions? This is the INSIDE of the wheel, the part on the other side of the spokes.

You need to get yourself a Powerstick. Handles the barrel of the wheels with ease.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-405-adams-green-clean-power-stick.aspx

For sure! Power stick is a great tool.

Chris

I know it sounds like lots of work, but I take the wheels off about once a month (April-Sept) and wash the barrels of the wheels. Much easier to get to. GWC usually takes it right off. I used it yesterday on my SIL's car which was very bad, and took the brake dust off without much work at all.

I used to be crazy like that too. Used to take off each wheel and clean the crap out of the barrels. Then I discovered adams power stick.....now I am probably only going to have to take them off about once a year. :rockon:

You need to get yourself a Powerstick. Handles the barrel of the wheels with ease.

I really don't think that's strong enough. I don't have chrome wheels, etc. and that probably would work awesome on the calipers and outside of rims. But, on the inner side of my wheels, it's BAKED from 88k miles of driving, NEVER CLEANED.

I've sprayed APC on it, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then blasted it with a brush and powerwasher and it still barely came off. (with the wheel off) Am I just screwed?

Lettin it sit that long wont do you any good as others say it will dry. What I would do is spray wait a couple minutes for it to penetrate and then use a brush scrub it a little bit hit it again wait about 10 minutes or so brush it again then rinse and I bet it would be exactly what your looking for.:glasses:

I literally have to hold the power washer after it soaked for 10 minutes in APC about 5 inches from the inside and it would slowly come off.

Any suggestions? This is the INSIDE of the wheel, the part on the other side of the spokes.

mine were the same way, I took GWC sprayed the spot and then took a wet microfiber towel and layed it on the spot that way it couldn't dry out. I still had to use a little elbow grease but I finally got it up.

My old car's wheels had orange spots in the corners of the spokes which were baked on brake dust. I took a soft toothbrush, sprayed some GWC on it, and gently scrubbed the area for a minute and it took it right off.

I like this idea. Maybe I'll try this first and see how it works.

I don't think it is possible to let a pure liquid cleaner 'soak' for that long without it drying. Once it dries, it isn't doing anything for you.

My old car's wheels had orange spots in the corners of the spokes which were baked on brake dust. I took a soft toothbrush, sprayed some GWC on it, and gently scrubbed the area for a minute and it took it right off.

I think the bottle says not to let the gwc dry on the wheels, so that suggests leaving it on for 2-plus hours would be a no-no. That said, maybe try it in a small, inconspicuous area knowing full well you're venturing into new territory, at your own risk. And let us know how it turns out, of course. :cheers:

Archived