Customer Service 866.965.0400

How To Properly Use A Porter Cable Video?

8rad

Question

Hey I think it would be great if Adams polishes made a video on how to properly use a porter cable in detail using adams products to achieve a 99% swirl free finish.

I have watched many videos on how to use them, but I can never tell how much pressure they are applying and the videos are not in HD or properly angled so you can see if its 99% swirl free.

Junkmans vids are great for noobs, but they do not go into crazy detail about how to use a pc. Anyone can put product on a pad and rub it around until some swirls are removed. I want to be professional!

I drew a line on my backing plate like junkman said, be nice if a video had a close up of that line spinning so I can see how much pressure to use on certain pads and products.

Ive also herd to put the pc on a scale to find the proper pressure, but I don't own a scale lol.

I'm also having a hard time getting super ultra fine swirl marks out of my hood and bumper caused by pcing my car with shr & fmp. Maybe in the video you could talk about how to remove those swirls?

Thanks

:pc:

17 answers to this question

... Junkmans vids are great for noobs, but they do not go into crazy detail about how to use a pc. Anyone can put product on a pad and rub it around until some swirls are removed. I want to be professional!

I drew a line on my backing plate like junkman said, be nice if a video had a close up of that line spinning so I can see how much pressure to use on certain pads and products.

You say that you have watched my videos. You say that you want a close up of the PC being used in action. If you have actually watched my videos, how did you miss this section from my paint restoration series?

pc_overheadshot1.jpg

pc_overheadshot2.jpg

Those are screen caps from that video of me using the PC, talking about pressure and technique. If I got any closer, I'd be bumping the camera. The videos are in 480p and some are in 720p. As you can see from the screen caps, they are pretty clear. Maybe you need to actually WATCH my videos instead of glancing through them. ;)

I don't know what more you could possibly want then the wealth of knowledge that is already here. I think you want someone to hold your hand and for the most part Junkman is already doing that. If you want the Junkman videos and don't get it your kind of hopeless. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but that's the truth.

:iagree:

The thing is Brad is there is only so much you can learn from a video... Doctor Steven Hawking could produce a series of videos on his theories of the universe or time travel... but you're not gonna become an instant expert on quantum physics no matter how good those videos are.

That has got to be the first Doctor Steven Hawking reference I have ever seen on a detailing board! :lolsmack:

You have to just do it to learn. If you don't feel comfy doing it on your car, go to the junk yard and buy a hood or trunk that's in OK nik and do it on it.

It's really all about doing it.

Chris

That's wht i was thinking of doing. But decided to do something else (maybe); paint half of the trunk I'd get a different color. I doubt it would matter there would not be clear on it, as I generally buy gloss paint. Then I could learn on the color I have now (silver) and also decide if I want to look at a darker colored car in the future.:confused:

I havent touched a PC or any other machine in about 10 years.. but bet your bottom dollar that I will be using the Adam's / Junkman Methods on my wifes black 6s.. I have experience, and I just need to get my own groove with the PC, just like you will. But I do not suggest you go all out like me and start on a Black Car owned by someone you have to sleep next too! :willy: Once I get my goodies and the spare time.. WOO HOO! Pics Galore!

The thing is Brad is there is only so much you can learn from a video... Doctor Steven Hawking could produce a series of videos on his theories of the universe or time travel... but you're not gonna become an instant expert on quantum physics no matter how good those videos are.

At some point you have to start self diagnosing and using the base of knowledge that we've given you to figure it out. Even if I were to shoot a series of videos in my garage using HD equipment and sent you a 1080p version on blue ray you're not gonna LEARN everything from that.

The offer still stands too... if you feel we just aren't giving you the info you need, or the support, or you simply don't like the products let us issue you the refund and send you on your way. We wasted an entire day discussing this already and then you chose to stick it out... while I appreciate your decision to give it "the old college try" theres only so much we can do to support you via the web. Theres no hard feelings if you choose to go that route.

Plane tickets to Canada from California aren't cheap so I can't come there and do the work for you.

:pc:

You have to just do it to learn. If you don't feel comfy doing it on your car, go to the junk yard and buy a hood or trunk that's in OK nik and do it on it.

It's really all about doing it.

Chris

I don't know what more you could possibly want then the wealth of knowledge that is already here. I think you want someone to hold your hand and for the most part Junkman is already doing that. If you want the Junkman videos and don't get it your kind of hopeless. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but that's the truth.

Jason a jerk? Nope just hard cold truth and tough love.. :2thumbs:

It's part art and part science -- and every car finish is different, so the best thing to do is experiment to find the pressure and techniques that work best for you. Also, some people like to work quick (like when they're working for money) and some people like to work slower to enjoy the process and maximize results. So, again, it's part art.

The Junkman's line on the pad idea is a great reference. Take that idea -- and all the other advice from the videos -- and go from there. :2thumbs:

Archived