Customer Service 866.965.0400

trying soap

johnb

Question

i will be trying the car soap soon -i a bit leary of leaving the soap on till i am all the way done like adam did in his video scared of getting water spots looking for others advice on this thanks

7 answers to this question

If it's not baked in the sun it's not an issue. There's no hard fast rule on it. Us foamer users will usually let it sit but we try to wash the car in the shade at all times. One person just can't move quickly enough to keep it from drying.

It won't hurt anything to dry unless you have REALLY hard water which I don't remember Ankeny having when I lived there. Best bet is always wash in the early morning or late afternoon/evening. ;)

Chris

I have a black HHR and hard water, no problems when the suds have dried on a warm surface(No I don't recommend it though!) No hard water spots, no etching. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Of course, it's better to not have it dry IMHO but always good to have that safety. And after the rinse, don't forget the DS mist of the wet finish to help block any hard water spots. And yes, I do go with the early morning or later afternoon wash schedule too.

Obviously its always better to avoid letting anything dry on the car, its not that Adam specifically encourages you to wash in the mid day sun, move slowly, and let it dry on the paint, but if you must our soap drying on the finish has less chance of being an issue than just water alone. The soap will keep the minerals suspended and prevent them from depositing. Because its pH neutral the soap itself will do no damage even when it dries.

Ideally you want to wash in the shade, either early in the day or late in the day when the sun is less harsh, then its not a concern at all. So if you can, do what I do, try to start your wash early - if I'm doing a big detail I start shortly after sun rise. That way by the time you complete the wash and dry portions the sun isn't even at a point where its an issue.

You don't have to leave the soap on for the duration, but I can attest to the fact that you shouldn't have any issues. I've been experimenting to see what I could get away with. The other day I washed my wife's car in the afternoon, sun shining down on it, and the temp was in the low to mid 90s. Washed the whole car, then rinsed, and dried in the sun. No spots.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend doing the above all the time. I prefer to wash in the shade, either in the morning or late evening when it's cooler and dry off in the garage, but my schedule doesn't always permit that, so that's why I wanted to see if I could wash and dry in the sun if needed.

Archived