Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is There A Fix For This?

JPEGXP

Question

I have been meaning to post this for a while, but never got around to taking pictures. My wheels have essentially looked like this since I picked up the vehicle. Is there anything I can do to help this? I have used the Metal Polish, but nothing ever turned black for me, nor are my wheels ever that dirty though.

P1000469.jpg

P1000471.jpg

These are the stock GXP wheels. Upside of today, I was able to get a sun spot out of my side view mirror that has been there since I picked up the car. 4' spot pad and my drill knocked it right out!

18 answers to this question

They are not too bad, just figured I'd ask. It's something I have noticed since day one. The sun fade on my side view mirror bothered me much more, so I was extremely pleased when the 4' pads took it out.

My gp gxp rims look the same. Ive hit it hard with shr and nothing changed so id say its under the clear. If you do attack with a drill be very very careful Ive got 2 nice chuck/gouges in a rim from a pad catching and the metal chuck making contact.... please learn from my mistakes!

I had this problem on my truck a few years back, I tried and I tried but never got the look I was looking for so I removed the clear and polished, loved it much better than the clear coat look.

More work to maintain but I loved it so it wasn't really work for me.

Once the clear get's damaged you seem to never get them back to like they were when they were new.

You can always have them cleared later if you don't like the look or the work to maintain them.

You will get different advise on this issue you but it will be up to you in the end.

If you can show us pics either which way you decide.

I had exactly the same issue with the wheels on my truck. No matter how hard I worked on them, nothing seemed to work. So, I got some gel type paint remover and removed the clearcoat on all wheels. Used the metal polish with a Mother's Wheel Polishing Cone and TaDA! Looks perfect.... Then I reapplied a clear coat and all is good..

I used a drill and 4" spot pads on my stock gxp wheels and got almost all of that out. I went over them several times with SHR, probably a good couple of hours worth the work. Don't use metal polish on them....they are clearcoated from the factory. Also, if you have the powerstick, be really careful, you can put them right back in that same condition pretty quick. Don't ask me how I know, lol. :loser:

Those 4" pads work wonders on them though. After the SHR a few rounds, I put some MSW on them and they looked perfect for my liking. Almost blinding in the sun, like they had been polished to death. :rockon:

That's in the metal. You'd need to strip the clear off and have them polished.

Personally I think that it gives it a less chrome look which I like. I bet if you look at all the GXP wheels you'll see they're the same. They're probably polished with a robot and therefore all the same.

Chris

Archived