Customer Service 866.965.0400

Oil slick in my carpet.

DCRANER

Question

My 1968 Nova SS 350, bought it a few months ago, clean 58,000 mile car.

But, had a mild musty smell and turns out the passanger side carpet had a greasey feel. Put shop vac on the area for a minute and the vac nozzle is filled with what looks like motor oil. I pulled up the area and the jute padding in just the flat foot area is oily. Someone must have spilled oil on it. The metal floor under the carpet if factory original, rust free, just an oily slime on it. :mad:

So, I dusted some Baking Soda on it for now, but without ripping out the carpet any suggestion to clean this up?

I do have the Adams carpet cleaner, but I'm think maybe soak it with Dawn / water and then sucking it up with the shop vac.

9 answers to this question

You try dumping a pile of talcum powder on the spill, and rubbing it in. Let that stand overnight then vacuum it up. If that doesn't work, try a carpet shampooer.

After shampooing I did Baking Soda ovenight, vac. up and did the shampoo again. It's almost gone, still slightly oily on the surface.

Man, try getting motor oil completely out of carpet.

Well at least you got most of it out.

Maybe try shampooing it again when you can find the time.

Yep, I'll hit it a few more times with the shampooer.

If not I'll have to get a little dip stick to check the oil level! :jester::banana:

Archived