Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield maintenance

mikeg6045

Question

Hello all,

I am looking to do a nice cleaning on the outside of my windshield and remove the layer of road film thats on there. Also see if I can polish it up a bit.

When i clean the windshield I can always see a certain layer of film that the I cannot remove with a towel and the glass cleaner., and I want to attack it with the PC and finally see if this film is on the outside of the car.

What products do you suggest I use on there ? I have the PC. and all of Adams polish's.

Just to clarify and avoid any confusion and potential damage by people reading this thread.,, I am talking about the OUTSIDE of my windshield, the part that is EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS. I would hate to see someone read the thread and try to take the PC and polish inside the car. lol :)

Does Adam recommend a method of doing this with his products ? ie: SHR, PC speed, FMP PC Speed ?? window sealant as LSP ?

(btw, I love the window sealant !)

15 answers to this question

FMP on the white pad will work OK on the windshield.

I found the other day when cleaning the window on my new back door that a Mr Clean dry eraser and some Adams APC got rid of any film on there. I found it to work better than clay because I was able to use the APC with it. APC + Clay = mush... lol

Chris

what about APC and a sponge?

i've got these little specks on the windshield all over that you can only see at sunrise or sunset when driving directly towards the sun. i clayed and cleaned the windows this weekend and they were spot less in the shade, but this morning driving to work, the little specks are still there.

but yeah, any idea on the little specks i'm talking about? i dunno if its just the way the glass is, or if they are micro chips from meteorite dust! :willy:

I had the same thing in my SSS. I never could figure it out after trying several different window cleaners and claying I just gave up and delt with them

Are you sure it's not just a sand blasted windshield? My car and trucks are the same way.

If clay and or the APC and a dry eraser don't take it off, then me thinks it's not coming off...

lol

Chris

Are you sure it's not just a sand blasted windshield? My car and trucks are the same way.

If clay and or the APC and a dry eraser don't take it off, then me thinks it's not coming off...

lol

Chris

sand blasted is a good way to describe it... i was hoping BSG or maybe the new glass sealant would help it some.

i was going to try the new BSG i just got this evening on it.

good thing its my cadillac and not my camaro :willy:

of course I have already clayed the windows.

I am looking to Polish the windshield with the PC,

I'm just looking for someone from Adams to suggest what products I should use.

SHR, FMP ?

the specs you guys are talking about are mini chips in the glass from normal road abuse. You will not get those out. That happens on every car. If it happened on your truck, it will likely happen on your car even worse over time. Usually from Highway and freeway driving. Just imagine that your paint on the entire front end of the car is seeing identical damage. When you hear people in the forums say that they polished there car and are now seeing little pit marks on the hood and rear of the car (cars make a small vortex of air behind them that kicks up the same road debris) this is the culprit. I have seen so many people blame the PC and polish for these micro pit marks. Thats just not the case.

back to the topic though, any work on what polish and pad I should start with on the windshield. I would rather someone from adams give me a suggestion for simplicity rather than have to experiment myself. thx.

Keep in mind most of us have been doing this for a long time. If you feel the need to polish it after claying, use FMP on a white pad.

If you want to ask an Adams employee, email dylan@adamspolishes.com

Chris

I am going to try FMP on a white pad. thank you very much. I was not looking for advice from an employee specifically, but from someone who has done it before and had a more definitive answer like the one you gave me. I am truly sorry if i communicated the question wrong, or came off in the wrong manner.

I know many of you have the experience, and thats why I asked on the forum rather than sending an email. besides the fact that basically everyone on the forum have shown that they mean very well and have given positive insight with any questions I have had.

I am going to try FMP on a white pad. thank you very much. I was not looking for advice from an employee specifically, but from someone who has done it before and had a more definitive answer like the one you gave me. I am truly sorry if i communicated the question wrong, or came off in the wrong manner.

I know many of you have the experience, and thats why I asked on the forum rather than sending an email. besides the fact that basically everyone on the forum have shown that they mean very well and have given positive insight with any questions I have had.

You can step it up to the orange or yellow pad as well... Always start with the least aggressive though.

Just remember to clay afterward with some Adams glass cleaner. You'll want to get all the stuff off the glass before you apply the glass sealant.

Chris

Archived