Customer Service 866.965.0400

Porter Cable and backing plate coming loose

I have a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and I use the older generation pads with it. Today I was using the machine for the 3rd time since I've owned it and almost had a serious accident with it. The backing plate came loose on it and fell off. I was fortunate enough to have caught it before I scratched the paint and it rolled away on me. I tried to screw it back in so I could continue machine polishing however it stripped the threads on the backing plate.....I am worried that the threads on the PC are stripped also from the oscillating. Has this ever happened to anyone here in the past? I never had this problem before in the short time I have used it and I am very cautious as to how I use the product. Thank you.....

Don't give up on the great machine!:pc:I would say you just need a new backing plate!:2thumbs:Dylan will take care of you!
I agree with the outcome of this great machine...I did call Dylan and will send a more detailed email regarding this mishap that is clearly not the fault of Adam's Polishes at all. Thank you for the positive responses.....

Good talking to you Jim. I sent you the info we discussed, and if that doesn't work out let me know and we'll go from there. One way or another we'll get you back polishing soon!!
It was a pleasure speaking to you also Dylan! Thank you for your time. I'll look for that info when I get home.....I am sure it will be a quick fix and if there is a PC repair station close by, I will gladly have it repaired there. Thank you for your help.....

It was a pleasure speaking to you also Dylan! Thank you for your time. I'll look for that info when I get home.....I am sure it will be a quick fix and if there is a PC repair station close by, I will gladly have it repaired there. Thank you for your help.....
I was taking a look at the schematics to the PC7424 and I was amazed at how simple this machine is to repair myself so I am going to order the part, install it and be on my way again. I want to thank all who assisted with this and I have also enclosed a copy of the email I sent to Dylan. This goes beyond customer service and other companies should learn from Adam's. Thank You!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning Dylan,

Good news! I was taking a look at the schematics for the PC7424 and found that this is an easy fix. Remove the 2 screws that hold the counterweight in and the spindle that is stripped pulls right out. To reinstall, simply place the new spindle/bearing assembly in the hole, reattach the counterweight and away I go. There's no need to even drop it off or even travel the half hour to have it repaired. I'll simply order the part I need and when it arrives here, it will be a 2.3 minute fix. (like my time estimate..ha ha)! Seriously, I am amazed at how easy it is to fix so now the search is on for the cheapest parts supplier. Thank you once again for your time and willingness to help. Have a great day. Sincerely, Jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good talking to you Jim. I sent you the info we discussed, and if that doesn't work out let me know and we'll go from there. One way or another we'll get you back polishing soon!!
Thank you so much Dylan.....it has arrived and as soon as I get the part for my PC, I plan to earn some cash!!!!

The same thing happened to me. The backing plate spun-off and stripped the threads on the backing plate only. My pc was fine. And Ashley and Dylan gladly sent me another plate. Are you sure your pc is stripped too? Have you tried to attach the new plate?

My only advice would be to make absolutely sure you get the new plate on tight using the hex wrench. I think that was my problem. It was never good and tight, then started wobbling, stripped the threads and fell off.

Haven't had a problem since...

Good luck! :xfingers:

The same thing happened to me. The backing plate spun-off and stripped the threads on the backing plate only. My pc was fine. And Ashley and Dylan gladly sent me another plate. Are you sure your pc is stripped too? Have you tried to attach the new plate?

My only advice would be to make absolutely sure you get the new plate on tight using the hex wrench. I think that was my problem. It was never good and tight, then started wobbling, stripped the threads and fell off.

Haven't had a problem since...

Good luck! :xfingers:

I will double check the PC seeing the parts are expensive but I do see what looks like thread damage in there.

I thought I had it tight but not gorilla tight.....I learned one thing here...check it periodically. I am very thankful to have great people like the ones at Adam's that take pride in their work and keeping us happy!!!

Archived