Customer Service 866.965.0400

Metal undercarriage parts

darkhorse13

Question

Hello,

I drive a 2010 Toyota FJ and would like to know what Adam's products I can use to bring the metal parts of my undercarriage back to life?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comP><P><FONT size=3><FONT face=<o:p></o:p>

For example, my SUV sits tall enough to see my frame in the wheel wells, the rear axle, the rear control arms...basically all the big drive train parts that come with a cruddy black factory paint job to prevent rust. You know the parts that look super faded and dull after about the first 5000 mi or first off road adventure. I do crawl under the FJ every wash to give these parts a quick wipe down with the extra soap and water left in the buck at the end of the wash but I don't get crazy with cleaning them. After a quick swipe with the wet towel the rear diff will come back to life for a second, but as soon as the water dries it's immediately dull and ugly. Because my SUV is still new I don't have a bunch of rusty axle tubes or control arms, I would like to at least get some shine to them while I can. In the past I have simply hit these parts with a can of aerosol tire shine, but that is streaky and last for about a week. I tried some Adam's Undercarriage spray too. It is also streaky on metal but does last longer. I tried wiping it in to get rid of the streaks but I basically wiped off the product because, again, its a metal surface and nothing is absorbing.

<o:p></o:p>

So what Adam's product could I simply and effectively (read: not spend a lot of time under my FJ) use on the metal components of my drive train to basically make them not look dull?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks!<o:p></o:p>

John

10 answers to this question

UCS... Under Carriage Spray!

If you're wanting to polish and wax them, then I'd suggest revive polish and some Super Machine Wax for long life.

If it's a DD, I'd just use the UCS. You'd be amazed what it does.

Chris

i second the under carrage spray! i have an f350 pickup.and when i detail it . i use the undercarrage spray even on the ball hitch it blackens that right up. also the leafsprings are noticeable i spray them too. . makes them look brand new ..by far one of the best products out there a must have. i always keep a gallon handy at all time.. oh and it smells awesome too!!!!

Ummm...I guess I will have to try the UCS again.

The friend who got me into detailing gave me a sample in a generic spray bottle and the spray came out a little too heavy I guess and left long, wet streaks on the metal parts. I might need more of a fine mist.

I also didn't give it a chance to dry (maybe 1min) before I wiped it. I was afraid it was going to dry with those unsightly long, wet arms, dripping down the surface.

I will try it again but 1) give it a finer mist setting 2) let it do it's thing for about 10min then judge it. It did work AWESOME on the "popcorn" textured undercoating section of the wheel well though.

One last thing: UCS will not degrade any rubber control arm bushings or coilover suspension parts where the strut piston is exposed right?

I knew you all would have the answer! :cheers:

Ummm...I guess I will have to try the UCS again.

The friend who got me into detailing gave me a sample in a generic spray bottle and the spray came out a little too heavy I guess and left long, wet streaks on the metal parts. I might need more of a fine mist.

I also didn't give it a chance to dry (maybe 1min) before I wiped it. I was afraid it was going to dry with those unsightly long, wet arms, dripping down the surface.

I will try it again but 1) give it a finer mist setting 2) let it do it's thing for about 10min then judge it. It did work AWESOME on the "popcorn" textured undercoating section of the wheel well though.

One last thing: UCS will not degrade any rubber control arm bushings or coilover suspension parts where the strut piston is exposed right?

I knew you all would have the answer! :cheers:

I use UCS on exsposed frame rails and the diff. I let it set about 15-20 min the take a cloth and genlty whipe it to take care of those runs. Still leaves it nice, clean and shiney

I use UCS on exsposed frame rails and the diff. I let it set about 15-20 min the take a cloth and genlty whipe it to take care of those runs. Still leaves it nice, clean and shiney

I would not suggest using an Adam's microfiber to do this. Use an old detailing towel to smooth it out.

Well I am back for a follow-up. A couple weeks ago I washed my rig again, using ACP to clean up the control arms and diff first, and went back with round 2 of the UCS.

I changed two things:

1) I used a finer mist setting that allowed me to saturate the parts without creating too many "arms" or drips in the application.

2) I LEFT IT ALONE. I did not wipe it, drive it, or touch the UCS as it sat on my parts.

After 20min it started to noticable "dry" or set

After 1 day it looked real glossy and 90% streak free

After 1 week, with even some light wet street driving, it looks amazing!

I must say that I am back to being 110% satisfied. Just today the sun caught the differential as my rig was sitting on a hill and it looks sooooo black and clean. The control arms look like they have a fresh coat of paint! My previous usage of aerosol spray-on tire shine to these types of parts pales in comparison.

Preparation and proper application are the key as always.

Thanks for not letting me give up with the UCS guys. I would have regretted it.

John

Archived