Customer Service 866.965.0400

Harbor Freight DA Polisher

Z06Seal

Question

ok ok... Don't kill me now! I don't own one, and I'm just reporting that's all. I know they have very cheap products and I don't own a single of their power tools, but I thought it was interesting that they had a DA polisher that looked pretty much identical to a PC 7424XP. It was 67 bucks. with a 20% off coupon, that's ~55 bucks with tax. Looking at it felt 'cheaper' than a XP, but looked just like it. I wonder if the made in china PCs and these are built to same standards... 

Does anyone have one? I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it here before.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

22 answers to this question

I've used it. It's decent. It has more power than the PC 7424xp. It's also louder and vibrates a little more. Be sure to replace the backing plate with something better and don't bother with their cheap pads. They are junk.

Edited by The Guz

I ordered one to mess around with as i have never done a machine polish, but i went with adams pads. Got it friday, but the weather isnt cooperating so i havent gotten to really test it out yet. I am about to get desperate enough to drop the tailgate on my truck and do some testing with it in the garage though. Seems to be a solid tool, not anything to write home to mom about, but serviceable. Its loud, but not abnoxiously loud. Think i got it for around $45 after coupons, so if its junk, or i really suck at machine polishing, i aint out much. If i give in and do some work on the tailgate, i'll let you know how it goes. Having said that, i'm sure it is not in the same universe as the cyclo or flex and will be owning one of those someday...

Edited by Mauff12

I ordered one to mess around with as i have never done a machine polish, but i went with adams pads. Got it friday, but the weather isnt cooperating so i havent gotten to really test it out yet. I am about to get desperate enough to drop the tailgate on my truck and do some testing with it in the garage though. Seems to be a solid tool, not anything to write home to mom about, but serviceable. Its loud, but not abnoxiously loud. Think i got it for around $45 after coupons, so if its junk, or i really suck at machine polishing, i aint out much. If i give in and do some work on the tailgate, i'll let you know how it goes. Having said that, i'm sure it is not in the same universe as the cyclo or flex and will be owning one of those someday...

Yeah, it really doesn't seem TOO bad from just appearance (can't comment on performance though). for the price, I think it'll be a good small area polisher. I just didn't wanna be the guinea pig on it, but I will if there is some interest. and try it on the daily drivers

I might order a flex as well and see the difference (for me) between a PC and a flex. We all know flex is better, but I'd like to know if it's 250 more dollars better compared to a PC personally. I'll return the one I don't like back to amazon.

I actually have one and have used it all summer.  For training purposes it does a good job.  Agree the supplied backing plate and HF pads are not ideal.  Hallf the price of PC and seems to hold up pretty well.  When I graduate to next level will probably use 3 or 4 inch backing plate/pads for spot correction.

Is it just my imagination but seems Adams only has 4" Cyclo pad and Flex backing plates but no 5-5.5 6 inch pads?  Seems I can't find them here.

Is it just my imagination but seems Adams only has 4" Cyclo pad and Flex backing plates but no 5-5.5 6 inch pads?  Seems I can't find them here.

I see the 7" foam & MF pads, and the 6" backing plate in the store under Exterior/Polishing.

They honestly are good machines. Do yourself a favor though and get a better backing plate, don't use the HF pads, and rotate the body so the power switch is up top.

Also if you re pack the grease in the head with heavy duty bearing grease it runs quieter with less vibrations.

Mods I mentioned above are readily available on another detailing forum with a Google search.

I know Garry Dean and many other Detailers use the HF DA and yes it does have more power than a PC and is less than 50 bucks with coupon. Hard to beat for a beginner

Went in the store once, and haven't been back.  And no I didn't buy anything.  

I've bought stuff from there that I don't use very often (pneumatic air compressor, hoses for it, ultrasonic cleaner, microcalipers, misc tools) everything has surprisingly held up so far. I've just never tried their power tools, because I have the stuff I need and usually get those from home depot...

so the 4 inch backing plate from adams will work well with this as a spot correction tool... hmm... 

I'm glad I made this thread

off topic - jesus, I already spent 400 bucks on adams/porter cable in the past week. and I'm about to buy 100 more dollar worth of stuff. lord help me and give me overtime

Edited by Z06Seal

I've bought stuff from there that I don't use very often (pneumatic air compressor, hoses for it, ultrasonic cleaner, microcalipers, misc tools) everything has surprisingly held up so far. I've just never tried their power tools, because I have the stuff I need and usually get those from home depot...

so the 4 inch backing plate from adams will work well with this as a spot correction tool... hmm... 

I'm glad I made this thread

off topic - jesus, I already spent 400 bucks on adams/porter cable in the past week. and I'm about to buy 100 more dollar worth of stuff. lord help me and give me overtime

It does get to be a habit.  Probably the worst part is waiting for delivery and then carressing everything as you put them on the shelf waiting for nicer weather.

Actually looking at them on the shelf does give you encouragement that weather will get nice soon!

I've heard this in the past, which cards have this?

American Express?

My Discover, Chase Freedom, Chase Sapphire Platinum and American Express Blue Preferred all have them.

I believe if it's a visa signature (their "premium offering") card, it has to have it. I can confirm the cards I mentioned do have it because I read the booklet that came with it. IIRC, Chase Freedom had the best one (dollar amount for coverage)

I use the harbor freight one. Got pretty good results. Heres my detailing write up to check it out. Theres also directions and pictures in there on how to move switch and repack the grease.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27031-corrected-silverado-ss/

Thank you for sharing the link to your write up!  When / if it warms up here, I am going to tackle correcting the paint on my black silverado that looks a lot like your before pics.  I also have the HF DA polisher, and was wondering if you changed the backing plate like Ricky Bobby suggested, or if you used the stock one?  BTW, truck looks frickin' sweet in those pics.

Thank you for sharing the link to your write up!  When / if it warms up here, I am going to tackle correcting the paint on my black silverado that looks a lot like your before pics.  I also have the HF DA polisher, and was wondering if you changed the backing plate like Ricky Bobby suggested, or if you used the stock one?  BTW, truck looks frickin' sweet in those pics.

Thanks. Poor thing is covered in salt right now.

I didnt change the backing plate til after that detail. But i do have the adams bp now. Tested it out briefly and i think it makes big improvement, seemed to reduce vibration. I would really recommend moving that switch location. where the switch is limits your movement and almost forces you to use same hand entire time, my hand turned into a claw.

My Discover, Chase Freedom, Chase Sapphire Platinum and American Express Blue Preferred all have them.

I believe if it's a visa signature (their "premium offering") card, it has to have it. I can confirm the cards I mentioned do have it because I read the booklet that came with it. IIRC, Chase Freedom had the best one (dollar amount for coverage)

Thanks.

I have an AMEX Blue Cash everyday card, I'll have to see if this has it.

Always wondered about it.

I bought it today and it actually feels like a decent machine. I felt less vibrations from this one compared to the PC one. It does seem to have more power too. I'll try both out and see how the cars turn out. I'll do one DD with PC, and the other DD with HF DA. We'll see which one is preferred

I use the harbor freight one. Got pretty good results. Heres my detailing write up to check it out. Theres also directions and pictures in there on how to move switch and repack the grease.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27031-corrected-silverado-ss/

Very cool, I'll rotate it to bring the button up top. I have a 4" BP and the 6" one coming from adams. I'll try all of them.