Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Member from KY

J.Kempster

Hey Adams! New member from Louisville, KY. My wife bought me a Rupes LHR15 II for my 30 birthday. 

I am online building my Adams pads/liquids order as we speak. Looking forward to putting the Rupes LHR15 Mark II to work. 

Currently have the 5.5" bundle in my cart. I have quantity of 3, is this enough to get started?

Thanks, Jeff

Welcome Jeff!  You’ve come to the right place. And here’s a quote from one of the greats on this topic: 

Coming from a background in professional detailing and now working for a company that is engaged entirely in surface restoration theres just a couple of things to consider:

The more aggressive the operation the more stress is placed on the pad - heavy correction work beats up pads, so your compounding phases will eat up pads rather quickly, so if you have some pretty serious defects to work on have lots of spare pads.

The more aggressive the operation the more residue management you have to contend with - as you are doing heavy correction work your pad is being loaded up not only with compound, but the byproduct of abrasive actions (clear coat and paint). To remove deep defects you need to remove more material, the more material you remove the more your pad loads up, the more your pad is loaded the less effective it is. Its considered best practices to replace those pads more frequently during the heavy cutting phases.

Keep those 2 things in mind as you decide how many pads to have on hand. At a MINIMUM no one should have fewer than 2 of every pad just out of common sense. If you drop a pad or a pad comes apart you need to have a backup at a minimum to keep going. If you are planning heavy correction work (i.e. - our first full paint correction) I recommend at least 4 pads for your cutting phases so you can at least divide the car into 1/4 chunks and work it that way.

For your finishing work you are doing much less aggressive work, and removing far less material, so 2 pads for your finishing is generally enough. Also consider though - you will do fine polishing work more often as a touchup exercise (at least you should) so if thats the case then having a couple of spares on hand isn't a bad idea either.

The one place I think you can generally get away with 1 or 2 pads is your LSP steps (glazes, waxes, sealants) - its not cutting any material so you have no residue management to deal with, the action is low stress on the pad so no issues there, and in the worst case you can jump to hand application if you lose a pad in the process (not an option in the cutting and finishing phases).

My 2 pennies worth - that and $6 will get you a latte at Starbucks. Cheers!

-DvK

Welcome to the addiction, Jeff! 

Agreed with above to have at least 2 of each pad you plan to use. What else are you looking to get? At least for now. Rest assured you will be buying more soon so may as well stock up to save on shipping and especially take advantage of the 20% off sale (usually the best they offer, and only a couple times a year at that).

I just ordered:

Adam's Pro Tire Hex Grip Applicator (2)

Adam's Tire & Rubber Cleaner Collection

Adam's 5.5" Pad Bundle (3)

Adam's Correcting Compound, Correcting Polish & Paint Finishing Combo (8oz)

Adam's Coating Applicator (5)

Adam's EZ-Fill Threaded Funnel

I think I have just been bit worse than Spiderman!

51 minutes ago, J.Kempster said:

I just ordered:

Adam's Pro Tire Hex Grip Applicator (2)

Adam's Tire & Rubber Cleaner Collection

Adam's 5.5" Pad Bundle (3)

Adam's Correcting Compound, Correcting Polish & Paint Finishing Combo (8oz)

Adam's Coating Applicator (5)

Adam's EZ-Fill Threaded Funnel

I think I have just been bit worse than Spiderman!

It depends on how you looks at it, being bit worked out well for Spiderman ?.  Looks like you're on the right track and welcome from just up I-71 in Cincinnati!

Thanks hamilton2400 for the detailed response. 

Thanks blcksilv08!

falcaineerI have some sealant (M21 & Ammo Skin) and one bottle of coating (Ammo Reflex) that I hope to use up in the spring when detailing others cars. When my current coating runs its course on my Tundra, I would like to add Adams Paint, Trim and Glass coating. I figure if I coat the entire truck then maybe I'll get 15 mpgs vs 14.5. :-)

I would really like to make it to Adams Polishes one day for an event. 

Edited by J.Kempster

Welcome to the addiction, Jeff.  :welcomebanner:  Adding my two cents for what they're worth.  

I just placed an order this morning to supplement the 15mm Swirl Killer combo my boys bought me for Christmas. 

Including the original kit, I'll now have the following 5.5" pads:

(2) Blue MF Cutting Pads

(2) Blue Foam Cutting Pads

(2) Orange Foam Pads

(2) White Foam Pads

(1) Grey Foam Pad

(1) Red Foam Pad

As I'm only looking to maintain my own vehicles, I don't think I'll need more than (2) of the paint correcting pads at this point. Since I won't have anyone waiting for their car to be finished, I have the advantage of being able to do paint correction in stages.  Worst case scenario, if both pads get loaded up, I can wash them out and wait for them to dry before continuing.   

I think (1) of the Grey and Red pads are sufficient for a part-timer like me since I'll only use them for Paint Sealant and Brilliant Glaze.

P.S.  I also bought myself a 12mm SK with a similar complement of 4" pads to reach those tighter spots. ;)

Thanks ZMAN024, I have a 5.5" wax pad now, I definitely may order some of the Adams in the near future. 

The 12mm SK seems like an awesome machine. I currently own a GG6 an plan to purchase their 3" backing plate and the have Adams 4" pads added to my cabinet. 

I wish there were 2" Adams pads so I could use them for my GG3 and get in real tight spots. 

My plan is to detail family/friends and referrals from there, nothing major as I don't plan to start a side business with insurance etc but who knows. 

• 3 weeks later...