Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Tape for Protection During Paint Correction

ZMAN024

Question

Question for the group......... What's the best tape to use for protection during paint correction or application of Ceramic Coatings ?   With a slight warm up in the weather this past weekend, Spring doesn't seem so far off anymore.  I'm getting the itch to tackle some overdue paint correction on several vehicles and wanted to reach out to the group for advice on the best tape to use to protect trim and moldings, etc.  I'm sure everyone has their favorite brand, size or even color.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

7 answers to this question

10 hours ago, falcaineer said:

There just so happens to be an article in the Detailing Library on this:

Thanks Chris.  The advice in the library is helpful about what type of tape to avoid using(edge lock tapes),  but it doesn't suggest an appropriate brand to use.  I did some research last night and came across two potential choices. 

3M Automotive Performance Masking Tape, 03431, 18 mm x 32 m

Kamikaze Auto Detailing Tape KZTAPE18mm

I'm curious to know what others are using.

For sanding I use 3M green or blue from the DIY or auto parts store. 

For polishing I like 3M/Scotch green precision tape, 3M 06525 1/4" tape, K-UTG Gold detail tape (Adam's sold a similar tape), or CarPro red tape (assorted sizes).  Try this source for the Gold/orange tape - K-UTG GOLD Detail Masking tape.  These tapes are thin, and allow for curves.  It is also reusable, so work on side, and move the tape to the other side.