Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which way to layer?

sahls01gmc

Question

15 answers to this question

1 minute ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You’ll find a lot of debate on this. We use sealant so it bonds directly to bare paint. Then follow it with glaze and lastly with two thin coats of hand wax. 

Good timing! :lolsmack:

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

They say great minds think alike. But in this case, I'd be really scared for Shane!

Recommend you read this for a little more on layering, etc.:

Nothing for me to be scared of.  This place is full of great minds.  I wouldn’t even consider myself an “expert” around these parts.  There’s so many people here who are very capable and able to share knowledge.  I just try to keep up!  

Sealant is (and always will be) more durable than wax.  It’s the nature of synthetic versus natural.  My logic in applying the glaze and topping it with wax is that the glaze is probably the shortest lasting product that is purely aesthetic and you can preserve some (even if it’s a little) durability by locking it in with a wax.  It’s food for thought.  Everyone has different processes and rationale for using them.  

I'd agree with Shane, though I haven't tested it yet, it just makes the most sense.  Have your LPS down first.  I would highly recommend a wipe down with either IPA or buying Adam's Coating Prep from their Ceramic Coating section before laying down the LPS to ensure a naked, clean finish.  

(Skipping the prep steps obviously):

1. Polish
  2. IPA or Coating Prep wipe-down
  3. LPS 
  4. Brilliant Glaze
  5. Americana/Patriot x 2 (Or Buttery I suppose, but that stuff probably barely outlasts Brilliant Glaze, lol)
  6. Post Pics!

7 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You’ll find a lot of debate on this. We use sealant so it bonds directly to bare paint. Then follow it with glaze and lastly with two thin coats of hand wax. 

X2 on this way!!

8 hours ago, sahls01gmc said:

I just finished a full 2 step polish, and I'm ready for the LSP. Should I use Brilliant Glaze first because of the solvent, then paint sealant (machine applied), then Americana?

This is the way I do it as well, actually I apply BG over top of my polish residue and wipe them off in one shot.

8 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Nothing for me to be scared of.  This place is full of great minds.  I wouldn’t even consider myself an “expert” around these parts.  There’s so many people here who are very capable and able to share knowledge.  I just try to keep up!  

Sealant is (and always will be) more durable than wax.  It’s the nature of synthetic versus natural.  My logic in applying the glaze and topping it with wax is that the glaze is probably the shortest lasting product that is purely aesthetic and you can preserve some (even if it’s a little) durability by locking it in with a wax.  It’s food for thought.  Everyone has different processes and rationale for using them.  

Well that's good. The fact someone thinks like me will keep me up at night, though. :willy:

And I agree BG can be done before wax. Also agree it comes down to personal preference and desired effect.

By the way, I was recommending the article above to James/sahls01gmc since he seemed to be looking for more on layering...didn't meant to come across as condescending at all to anyone, so hopefully that's not the case...

4 hours ago, Kickerz71 said:

Do you guys layer on your garage queen or just your daily?

I would recommend layering, especially on a daily driver.  If you're going to use Adam's and you're not Ceramic Coating then the order of strength would probably be:

1. Liquid Paint Sealant (The strongest, 6+ months are reported frequently)
  2. H2O Guard & Gloss (Probably could toss Ceramic Boost as a tie with this one, both will probably be good for 1-3 months)
  3. Paste Waxes (Americana and Patriot, both are pretty close, I'd trust them for 1-2 months)
  4. Liquid Waxes (Buttery Wax, honestly I'd say 2-4 weeks tops, though I'd not expect Buttery to be a real protectant)
  5. Glaze (Basically zero durability, this is just designed to make your paint pop)

You can pick which of the above you want to use, on a Daily I'd recommend always starting with LPS and then you can choose the other topper(s) after that.  YMMV.

For both of mine, I use LPS, Brilliant Glaze, then G&G every three washes.  I used to use buttery but when I switched to the sealant I quit the wax.   LPS lasts about six months on my truck, and close to a year on my wife’s car.  Hers is mostly garaged, and mine is mostly outside.  When I had my corvette and was taking it to show and shine and concours events, it was different.  These are daily drivers.