Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wax over a protection film

Ranger 5

Question

I just purchased a new Chevy Corvette.  Black in color.  I had a Sun Tek protective film placed on the front end, hood and the sides.  Its a laminated covering that protects the finish from rocks, etc.  The product literature says you can wax over it, buff it, etc.  My question is what is the best Adam's wax or sealant to use over this protective film?  Would the ceramic wax work?

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

I recently applied a coating over the film on my wife's Camaro. I wish I had done it to my 4Runner as well because it's turned yellow on mine, so definitely apply something over it. The main thing to remember is to be very careful with the edges of the film, as to not get product stuck under it. My wife got a piece of blue clay stuck under mine and it showed up on my white paint like you wouldn't believe... and it was there for MONTHS.

3 hours ago, Mariner said:

I recently applied a coating over the film on my wife's Camaro. I wish I had done it to my 4Runner as well because it's turned yellow on mine, so definitely apply something over it. The main thing to remember is to be very careful with the edges of the film, as to not get product stuck under it. My wife got a piece of blue clay stuck under mine and it showed up on my white paint like you wouldn't believe... and it was there for MONTHS.

The yellowing isn’t uncommon with PPF. Especially as it ages. The newer PPF products are much better about this not happening, but I don’t know if they’ll ever eliminate it. This is especially true of products from the factory or some dealer installed products. They tend to use less expensive products to maximize profit margins and the masses generally aren’t that aware of what they’re buying (example Simoniz GlassCoat as a ceramic). 

43 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

The yellowing isn’t uncommon with PPF. Especially as it ages. The newer PPF products are much better about this not happening, but I don’t know if they’ll ever eliminate it. This is especially true of products from the factory or some dealer installed products. They tend to use less expensive products to maximize profit margins and the masses generally aren’t that aware of what they’re buying (example Simoniz GlassCoat as a ceramic). 

Why you got to expose us like that Shane.  Just kidding of course, haha.  

Anyways...

I plan on having the front ends of all my cars covered in Xpel Ultimate. Over the top I'll be layering Liquid Paint Sealant, then Brilliant Glaze, then Paste Wax.  Prep before hand is imperative.  You'll want to strip wash everything off, potentially clay, decon and polish, then usually you'll want to use something like Coating Prep, Eraser, or even IPA and apply your Sealant to as naked of a finish as possible for the strongest bond.  Maintaining the top layer with your topper is important for monthly maintenance.  

35 minutes ago, LSX Maestro said:

Why you got to expose us like that Shane.  Just kidding of course, haha.  

Anyways...

I plan on having the front ends of all my cars covered in Xpel Ultimate. Over the top I'll be layering Liquid Paint Sealant, then Brilliant Glaze, then Paste Wax.  Prep before hand is imperative.  You'll want to strip wash everything off, potentially clay, decon and polish, then usually you'll want to use something like Coating Prep, Eraser, or even IPA and apply your Sealant to as naked of a finish as possible for the strongest bond.  Maintaining the top layer with your topper is important for monthly maintenance.  

It wasn’t a shot directly at you!  More the industry as a whole. There are a good number of dealers (the majority even) who prey on people who don’t know better. Increasing interest rates for a kick, built in fees that “can’t be removed” (VIN etching is a big one), etc. Uneducated consumers are their dream. And sadly, when it comes to maintenance that’s where most car owners fall. “You don’t need to do any maintenance with this coating for $X,XXX.” And clients scoop it up. We actually don’t sell as many coatings as we might be able to because I’m up front about the maintenance needs. 

Anyway, that’s a sidetrack. But yes, prep is everything like most of detailing. Maintenance is going to be important to make sure it’s always topped with a sacrificial layer that gets replaced. 

As far as ppf goes, xpel is a leader in the field along with suntek, 3M and others. Xpel is the most prominent. We keep toying with getting into ppf, but being small the time to recover my investment is quite large along with the fact that it’s a limited market for clients who will actually buy a product.  Maybe someday...

2 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

It wasn’t a shot directly at you!  More the industry as a whole. There are a good number of dealers (the majority even) who prey on people who don’t know better. Increasing interest rates for a kick, built in fees that “can’t be removed” (VIN etching is a big one), etc. Uneducated consumers are their dream. And sadly, when it comes to maintenance that’s where most car owners fall. “You don’t need to do any maintenance with this coating for $X,XXX.” And clients scoop it up. We actually don’t sell as many coatings as we might be able to because I’m up front about the maintenance needs. 

Anyway, that’s a sidetrack. But yes, prep is everything like most of detailing. Maintenance is going to be important to make sure it’s always topped with a sacrificial layer that gets replaced. 

As far as ppf goes, xpel is a leader in the field along with suntek, 3M and others. Xpel is the most prominent. We keep toying with getting into ppf, but being small the time to recover my investment is quite large along with the fact that it’s a limited market for clients who will actually buy a product.  Maybe someday...

Yeah I know it wasn't a shot at me and what you said is dead on true, I was just messing with you.  I know first hand how much dealers like to cheat.  Their bounds are limitless.  

But anyways, I'll keep this focused to detailing. 

OP, enjoy the new Vette!  

Edited by LSX Maestro

I've used nothing but Adam's on my Vettes, and had / have film on them.  You definitely can use wax or Brilliant Glaze or anything you like best. Just don't use a machine on it.  Another word of advice. Be careful to make sure you wipe most of it off along the edges. On  my white Vette, the edges of the tape would show up gray and dirty looking if I didn't get it off. It showed up white on my black Vette, and really became visible.  

8 hours ago, Rich said:

I've used nothing but Adam's on my Vettes, and had / have film on them.  You definitely can use wax or Brilliant Glaze or anything you like best. Just don't use a machine on it.  Another word of advice. Be careful to make sure you wipe most of it off along the edges. On  my white Vette, the edges of the tape would show up gray and dirty looking if I didn't get it off. It showed up white on my black Vette, and really became visible.  

Rich and all of you, 

Thanks, I was concerned about the edges of the film and how to avoid the wax build up.  All in all, I think the protective film is worth it.

9 hours ago, Rich said:

Some good advice here frim Rich (as usual). I’ll add that Revive hand polish is our go to for brining out the shine of PPF. 

I’ll also add that you can use a machine on PPF. I would not do it if you’re not very comfortable with polishing techniques. Use a lower speed, lighter pressure and less aggressive polish. But you do run the risk of too much heat or pressure and wasting the PPF. Something to consider. 

And if you do get wax on the edges, a quick steam will make it wipe off. Just reapply carefully to that area. 

I've seen PPF'ed cars at meets where the owner clearly just applied some kind of wax and just wiped it across the car like he didn't have PPF and every panel was outlined in white...Got to be a little more careful and maintain that line with some kind of cleaner and a q-tip or steam as Shane said.   

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:30 AM, Ranger 5 said:

I just purchased a new Chevy Corvette.  Black in color.  I had a Sun Tek protective film placed on the front end, hood and the sides.  Its a laminated covering that protects the finish from rocks, etc.  The product literature says you can wax over it, buff it, etc.  My question is what is the best Adam's wax or sealant to use over this protective film?  Would the ceramic wax work?

Thanks.

Congrats on your new Vette! Yes you could apply our new Ceramic Paste wax over your film.

Just be careful on the edges you don't want  wax build up.