Customer Service 866.965.0400

Storing chemicals in the heat

JoeyD0831

Question

I've read most of the information here about how to store Adam's chemicals and I'd just like some clarification. I live in Las Vegas and the average temperature in the garage during the summer is around 90 degrees. This is my first summer using Adam's and I've noticed some condensation on the tops of the bottles. I'd hate having to store all my stuff inside but I also don't want to ruin my investment. Does anyone living in this climate have any pointers?

6 answers to this question

I can tell you what I did many years ago for my own benefit.  I have a climate controlled room in my attached garage where I have most of my tools, a work bench and all my chemicals.  I'm in South Carolina and we regularly hit the mid-90's to 100+.  The room is insulated and has one vent going into it with no return and it is enough to keep it within 5 degree's of the house and none of the smells get back into the house. 

The room is 8x10 and while it would be nice to have it a bit bigger, it leaves plenty of room for the car, motorcycle, mower, etc..

I keep all my Adam’s products in the same temps in my garage without any issues. Been doing this for 4 years. The only products I keep inside are the ceramic bottles and my paste wax. I do however, move everything inside during the winter months. 

I store all mine inside, but for you, I'd recommend thick chemicals (sealants, polishes, waxes) should be kept inside, thin chemicals  (GC, LIC, etc.) can probably be left in the garage. You've said you read most info, but in case you missed this, here's an article with more info, and that directly answers your question.

5 hours ago, falcaineer said:

here's an article with more info, and that directly answers your question.

Yeah I read that one first. It says it's okay to keep in the garage as long as it isn't over 90 degrees (my garage doesn't face the sun so it's never "direct" heat). But then Chris says 80 degrees. As an addict, my collection will take up a decent amount of space inside.

I've been wanting to invest in garage door insulation for a while just for general energy savings. I think this might be a good time to look into it again.

Just bought a couple of plastic totes and when it's time to detail I bring out one or two totes as needed... I bet it get's up to 100+ degrees in my garage here in NE Ohio about 1/2 of the days during the summer...