Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Backing Plate and Pads or New Swirl Killer

TR6speed

Question

I have had my Porta Cable buffer for many years, but last week a friend of mine had issues with his paint.  He washes the car regularly, but one one bucket and no grit guard.  I went over and we clayed the car and then I went to work with the correction polish all because the paint was really swirled and scratch I had to really work.  The plan was to use the correction polish and then the finish polish.  On the last section of the correction polish I noticed little black fibers on the car.  It turned out that the Velcro on the backing plate was coming apart.  the pads were also on their last legs.  So never was able to finish the job.  My question to you is, should I bite the bullet and buy the swirl killer and pads or simply buy the new backing plate and new pads for the Porta Cable.  I only buff my car once maybe twice a year as it ids not a daily driver, garaged kept and normally covered.

Thanks for any input

7 answers to this question

If your PC is in good working order, no need to replace it with a long throw machine for a once annual correction, in my opinion.  Load up on pads and a new backing plate and you are good to go.  

I already know some of the members here will disagree and urge you to update your machine, but it's simply not necessarily - again, in my opinion.

I agree with Chase, upgrading isn't necessary if the machine itself is still in good working order.  Porter Cables with the right pads, backing plate and polishes can be an incredibly effective.  Especially if you're using it so infrequently, not worth upgrading unless the machine is toast.

Edited by chas

@TR6speed Jack I am with the others and would recommend a new backing plate (5") and 5.5" pads.  The new long throw machines are much smoother than the PC, but for the amount of work you do there is no need to upgrade.  

23 hours ago, TR6speed said:

I have had my Porta Cable buffer for many years, but last week a friend of mine had issues with his paint.  He washes the car regularly, but one one bucket and no grit guard.  I went over and we clayed the car and then I went to work with the correction polish all because the paint was really swirled and scratch I had to really work.  The plan was to use the correction polish and then the finish polish.  On the last section of the correction polish I noticed little black fibers on the car.  It turned out that the Velcro on the backing plate was coming apart.  the pads were also on their last legs.  So never was able to finish the job.  My question to you is, should I bite the bullet and buy the swirl killer and pads or simply buy the new backing plate and new pads for the Porta Cable.  I only buff my car once maybe twice a year as it ids not a daily driver, garaged kept and normally covered.

Thanks for any input

We all started with the PC and it got the job done however it is slower to correct and leaves your hands tingly.

Our Swirl Killer corrects faster and is way more easier on your hands. I don't think that you will be sorry with your purchase of a new Swirl Killer. 

I'm on board with @Chris@Adams. You won't regret getting the SK, even if only using it a couple of times a year. Especially now with the 15mm currently on sale plus 19% off, it's a steal.

Like many, I started with the PC and together with Adam's it gave me great results. After a couple years I added the SK to the arsenal and haven't looked back. Yes, I had to add new pads, but it's so smooth and works really quickly (about twice the throw of the PC). It's not quite the workout the PC gives. I then converted the PC to a "mini" with the smaller backing plate and 4" pads, so it's still in use, too.

Just something else to consider...

I have my PC for years for general polishing and waxing, etc. I also have a rotary (FLEX) when I am doing serious paint correcting or polishing after DA wet sanding new paint work. If the PC is not getting results sometimes if you want excellent results as an example you would do a DA wet sanding with 3000 grit then even maybe 5000, then rotary polish with 2 or 3 levels of polishing. In this example the wet sanding removes the scratches and the polish finishes the wet sanding. That result could then be maintained with your PC and Adams Correcting and / or Finishing polish.