Customer Service 866.965.0400

3 step correction over multiple days

JP1129

Question

I am going to be doing my very first paint correction soon. I'm using the SK 15mm with the 3 step kit. I don't have time to do everything in one day or even one weekend. The process I was going to follow consists of doing an initial strip wash of the whole car, followed by claying, 3 step correcting and finally sealing one panel at a time over multiple days. I planned to use my IK foamer with adams car soap to wash a new panel each time I have a chance to do one. Eventually after maybe a week or so, the whole car should be corrected and sealed. Would this be a good/bad idea? Any tips would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

5 answers to this question

Wecome to the world of paint correction, @JP1129! No issues with over multiple days. It will take longer than you think, especially your first time, so planning the extra time is a good idea. 

Couple tips:

- While you have the 3 Step, it may not all be needed. Using blue painters tape (no locking edges!), tape off a 2'x2' section representative of the entire car - most use the hood - and start with the least aggressive (Finishing Polish, white pad). Wipe off residue and see how it looks. If not enough, move up a polish and pad to CP and orange foam pad. Check again. And so on. Whatever you need to get that section right should suffice for the rest of the car, with maybe some exceptions...spot polish, of you will. Doing this will save you the headache of getting "done," only to realize you need to go all over it again...and maybe again. Trust me!

- Paint Sealant will go quickly, so you may not need or want to wait a day at a time. Simply apply a thin, even layer all the way around, then wipe away residue with a plush microfiber. No cure time needed. Using the grey foam pad on the SK, low speed (2 or 3) will yield great results, laying it ln thin and evenly. You can also apply with the grey microfiber pad.

- Use isopropyl alcohol 50/50 or Surface Prep and some Waterless Wash towels to remove polish residue before applying PS. There's no need to remove clay residue before you polish...it will come off when you polish and/or wipe use the surface prep.

Finally, assuming of age, have an adult beverage at the ready...and take and post some before and after pics. Ask any more questions you have. 😎

Good luck!

Edited by falcaineer

7 hours ago, JP1129 said:

I am going to be doing my very first paint correction soon. I'm using the SK 15mm with the 3 step kit. I don't have time to do everything in one day or even one weekend. The process I was going to follow consists of doing an initial strip wash of the whole car, followed by claying, 3 step correcting and finally sealing one panel at a time over multiple days. I planned to use my IK foamer with adams car soap to wash a new panel each time I have a chance to do one. Eventually after maybe a week or so, the whole car should be corrected and sealed. Would this be a good/bad idea? Any tips would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Instead of washing each panel I would use WW, much easier.

Good luck Justin!  As the others have said it may not require 3 steps.  With the advances in polishers, pads, and polishes most times you can correct + finish in one step.  Sometimes a finishing polish is needed, but on most cars I do I get by with just one step.